Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

COunter balance shaft issue

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
Gday guys

Ive just bought a VR V6 thats been sitting a while with dead fuel pump and a couple dead injectors. I've got it running but it has a noisey counter balance shaft. Sounds like the rear bearing is dry. Its the second buick ive had with this issue after sitting idle.

It has excellent oil pressure. Ive tried some diesel to help aid circulation but it's achieved nothing. Has anyone had success taking them for a drive to abate the noise or will I be up for a repair now it's noisey?
It's a real bummer as the rest of the car is pretty good
thanks in advance

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Remove the drive sprocket. The BS is not required..

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
On the early V6's (VN-VR) there was no oil feed for the rear needle roller bearing on the balance shaft. With it sitting for a long time the oil has probably dried out in the bearing and maybe some hard deposits are left which will create bearing noise. Annoying but not really detrimental to how the engine runs.

Perff is good

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY LS1 Ute
On the early V6's (VN-VR) there was no oil feed for the rear needle roller bearing on the balance shaft. With it sitting for a long time the oil has probably dried out in the bearing and maybe some hard deposits are left which will create bearing noise. Annoying but not really detrimental to how the engine runs.
Put HPR30 glue in there this morning. let is get nice and warm and then revved the heck out of it. rolled the dice.....and it paid dividends :) thanks lads!

Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Put HPR30 glue in there this morning. let is get nice and warm and then revved the heck out of it. rolled the dice.....and it paid dividends :) thanks lads!
Try not to do that in neutral. Revving the engine with no load is unkind to the big ends.