Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cracked Head - does this sound right?

bpefi

Tech
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hilux Ute - Vs Ecotech Engine
They crack heads between the valve seats - its very common

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
They crack heads between the valve seats - its very common

The Crank Angle Sensor is also a common fault with these engines, as is the Lower Intake Manifold Gasket, sadly the ignition barrels fail quite often as well;

Just because they are common faults doesn't mean the O/P's car has any of them.

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
Firstly, for $690 most wreckers will give you a warranty on a second hand engine (30 or 60 days usually) If you by one without a warranty $100-200 is a more reasonable price.

Secondly, bubbles in the coolant doesn't necessarily mean its a cracked head. It could just have air in the cooling system from when the heater tap was replaced and If you've got air in the system it may just need to be bled properly. What where the results of the compression test?

Gambor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Equippe
All I was told by the mechanic was that the compression test showed bubbles in the radiator coolant, thus he concluded the head was cracked.

Bubbles in the cooling system possibly being due to the heater tap repair sounds much more likely to me, even though I saw the other mechanic bleeding the system with the bleed screw and upended bottle on the radiator (something I have done myself) I know its possible for air bubbles to still remain (and need to be bled a week or so later)

Not stating our mechanic might be dishonest, but he's human and even honest ones can make mistakes.

We contacted our mechanic, and asked if we could take the car back before the engine repair, to get around - since its taken so long. He said it was too late, even though the replacement engine is not due another day, he has already hoisted the old engine up and out.

I have that sinking feeling, like the last time we got shafted by a big national mechanic franchise for repairs we didn't need, which missed the real issues that blew the head gasket two days later on our last car.

GTS69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS GTS & VT XU6
mate id go down there and look for your self dont ask him and a compression test is to show the amount of pressure in each cylinder and it will show if something is wrong it will not show bubble in the radiator at all it sounds to me you have been taken for a ride the only way he can conclude a cracked head is to remopve them i would go and talk to him about this and if he messes you around tell him you will report him to fair trading ring any mechanic and ask them how they check for a cracked head with a compression test he could guess the gasket is blown a ring has gone or your head is cracked you can not be sure till you remove the head and look

UW1SH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5speed With ecotec conversion
mate $1200 to replace a motor (second hand) is way to high.. i say your getting ripped off because $690 for a second hand ecotec is a bit high.. wish i had of seen it early i could of changed your motor for like half that price. does heaps of ecotec replacements.. im even currently converting my vr from buick into manual ecotec..

bpefi

Tech
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hilux Ute - Vs Ecotech Engine
mate $1200 to replace a motor (second hand) is way to high.. i say your getting ripped off because $690 for a second hand ecotec is a bit high.. wish i had of seen it early i could of changed your motor for like half that price. does heaps of ecotec replacements.. im even currently converting my vr from buick into manual ecotec..

$690 may be a bit high for the engine - but you don't know the circumstances - the mechanic might have two lots of freight on top of that (they sometimes want the old motor back) & prices go up & down with demand & availability - that leaves $500 to remove & refit the engine which is pretty cheap - I just paid $800 to have my Auto repaired (needed a 2nd hand converter / new front bush & seal & a service. So $1,200 for an engine isn't that bad as I know plenty of people would charge $800 just in labour just to R&R an engine.

As for the head gasket the only way to check a head gasket is to do a cylinder leakage test & to do that each cylinder has to be pressurized on TDC & then bubbles are looked for in the coolant - the point is many cars are driving around every day with cracked heads & they don't cause a problem - usually ones with the thermostat in the lower hose. A cracked head only becomes a problem when the build up of air behind it wont allow the heat transfer to open the thermostat & this is when they over heat - so replace the thermostat & drill a larger hole alongside the main valve in the thermostat to allow air to get through & you should be right to get back on the road again. Unfortunately that's not possible now as the motor is out - I would be getting the old motor back though & I would be getting the heads checked - if they are cracked you can see it. If they are not cracked then I would be having a chat to the mechanic afterwards.

UW1SH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5speed With ecotec conversion
$690 may be a bit high for the engine - but you don't know the circumstances - the mechanic might have two lots of freight on top of that (they sometimes want the old motor back) & prices go up & down with demand & availability -.

Yeh i didnt think of that lol but i reckon he could of picked up a donor car for like $400 just for the motor i just bought a vs for $500 and its perfectly good.. At the end of the day its up to him what he decides to do i guess..

Gambor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Equippe
Thanks for the feedback from everyone. If I had to do it all again, I would have opted for some of the suggestions I have seen here first, like a proper bleed of the coolant after the heater tap replacement, or getting a donor car or engine from Ebay.

Our mechanic seems to be doing his honest best to do right by us. Sadly another setback has happened.

The replacement VT engine he installed started 'knocking' loudly after he installed it, while he was testing it.

Its going to be returned to the supplier under warranty, but i am in limbo now about exactly what happens next and whether another replacement will be found, what the deal is with the labour to install then uninstall the faulty replacement engine (who is responsible for this?).

I hate being at the mercy of even the best intentioned mechanics.

GTS69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS GTS & VT XU6
the people that sold him the engine would normaly offer a replacment warranty and no accept any costs for remove and refite but i would how ever expect the mechanic to do this at no charge as he should have looked into the engine he was getting better