Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cracked k frame

MattyVRss

matty T
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR ss
well today i was lookin under my vr ss while i was putting my exhaust back together and noticed a rather disturbing crack in my rear K frame set up 4 the irs...... there is a crack about 2.5 inches long across the center of it right above the diff. apparantly this is a common thing that happens to commodores with the early irs setup? the crack dose not look fresh so im guessing its been cracked 4 a while now. also i have been told its more common on lowered cars no so much standard cars as i haven't lowered it yet its jus running it 16 yrs of sag :whistling .......... so what would i be looking at paying 4 a new one? i have been told i would be wasting my time with a second hand one from the wreckers as its prob already cracked or if not prob will as soon as i put it in??? or is there an aftermarket unit u can buy that its strengthened to stop this problem?? any help would be greatly appricated :) thanks guys :thumbsup:

MattyVRss

matty T
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR ss
cant you just weld it instead?

already asked about welding it as thats all i was goin to do... but its 2 thin 2 weld and it jus cracks right next to the weld so im told.. apparantly it flexes quite alot so there 4 cant be welded?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The VR and VS get this quite often, if you can find an earlier one that's not cracked form a VP or VQ do that as they seem to break less often. They can be strengthened by welding a big plate right across the top. It's a pretty big job to swap one :). Holden still have new ones so just go ask how much

MattyVRss

matty T
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR ss
sweet as thanks guys :) soooo if i was tricky i should ask 4 a vp or vq one if i buy a new one if they r supposed to be stronger???

MattyVRss

matty T
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR ss
went to my local holden dealership today and apparantly u can not buy a new irs cradle anymore 4 the models vp 2 vt they stopped production on theses parts in september 07 so i was told..... so now my options r to get a second hand one from the wreckers 4 $150 and weld sum plates top and bottom to strengthin it so it shouldnt break again.. they must be pretty weak as u can break them as easy as dropping the clutch.....

neephius

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 M A4
Thisd is a safety concern and Holden Should be re calling all these vehicles with this problem. especially cars that are atleast 12 to 15 Years old.