Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement

Bommadorelife

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX wagon
I'm planning on replacing my crank angle sensor and I know there is another sensor right next to it. What's it called? Should I replace it at the same time?

---2002 VX Commodore

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Cam sensor. Easy as. 1 bolt. Can't hurt. I would be replacing the balancer to though if you don't know if it was ever replaced.

El_Freddo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Cam sensor. Easy as. 1 bolt. Can't hurt. I would be replacing the balancer to though if you don't know if it was ever replaced.

What's the reason for replacing the harmonic balancer?

I've done the crank sensor but kept the same balancer without any issues.

Cheers

Bennie

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
So have I but the rubber does degrade with time and it's not exactly expensive.

paulforaname

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS
I had a cas issue and jacked car up and had a look , I unplugged connection to sensor and plug was full of gunk , cleaned out and plugged back in and car started... I was about to take to mechanic but luckily by having a look I’ve saved myself unnecessary cash. Wonder if I hadn’t realised issue if mechanic would have told me real cause of CAS fault ??

Aidan0013

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
Was ur car not starting at all? Like will it just crank over an over? Just curious because my 99 VT won’t start at all

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Three common starting problems on the V6, crank sensor, DFI and or fuel pump. CAS will sometimes give you warnings its about to have total failure, so will the pump. DFI not so much. Best to scan for codes but keep in mind DFI code sometimes comes up as CAS. Easiest thing to do is grab a working DFI and try it. If no go then probably CAS, providing the fuel pump is working. DFI is DYI easy, crank sensor normally requires a $140 puller.

Last edited:

V6formethx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore Auto Sedan + VE Commodore SV6 Man Ute

Easy, yes, but I'm a big believer in not wasting money for no reason. If it was in a bad spot and doing the other sensor ment you had easy access to it while the car was apart then I'd change it while the hard part was done and you could get to it easily. But considering you can change the other sensor with a philips head on the side of the road in 30 seconds if you wanted to, just leave it until it actually needs replacement, if it even ever does. You would have the engine light on if it was faulty, it's not a sensor the car is happy about losing and it let's you know. Don't fix it if it ain't broke is the saying I think.