Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Crank case vent smell in engine bay

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
HEXEM, I dug up this thread as I have introduced the oil smell since the Week-end.
I can't smell much around the engine bay but when driving I can smell when stopped at lights coming through the air vents.

Now all I did on the Week-end was change the engine oil. I refilled with valvolene DUra-blend 5w-40. The oil is sitting at the mid-marker on the dip stick. It took about 8 ltrs. There is definiately no oil leaks around the engine.

I've concluded that it must be the oil type I used ?????

As you have said, it very strange...

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
I contacted Valvoline tech support and they stated (of course) that I must have disturbed the crankcase venting system when I changed the oil. They said that there is no-way a smell emulating from the oil.

I didn't go near the PCV system when I changed the oil. I checked it last night and it all looks well.

Its got me F%*KED where the smell is coming from. There is no other vent location on the whole motor...

Looks like I'll just have to dump the new oil and put some odourless $hit in (what ever that could be!!!). There goes another $80+!

Oh BTW, for the first time since birth, when I started the engine this morning the lifters decided to rattle for a bit. FFS, have a purchased a POS:doh:

So far this car has been the most temperamental and delicate thing I've ever owned:bang:

How the stuff can you change the engine oil and introduce an oil odour into the cabin:hmmm:

Last edited:

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
Cheers Phil. I've been itch'in for you to chime in.

Excellent reply. I honestly think its the Valvoline oil and since you were using Durablend too, it adds to the arguement. Maybe one of its additives produces an odour when its hot that escapes from the crankcase somehow. The tech rep at Valvoline thought I was an idiot and when I describe the problem to someone I too feel like an idiot. It has to be the oil...Its the only change to the car that has introduced the stench (well maybe not that bad but I can smell it).

Put it this way. If I can't get rid of the smell, then the car is being sold. Pretty harsh action but these sort of issues really PMO.

Where do I get this AC Delco oil ? (Holden I suppose)

Last edited:

bluessv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SS Thunder Ute
Yes mate, purchase the ACDelco fully synthetic 5w30 with the Dexos 1 logo on the front (vdery important). The part number is 19246958. I just bought my 2 bottle for $40 each but I think I got a special discount. Either way, the rrp for the oil is cheaper than most of the other full syn oils out there.

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
Yes mate, purchase the ACDelco fully synthetic 5w30 with the Dexos 1 logo on the front (vdery important). The part number is 19246958. I just bought my 2 bottle for $40 each but I think I got a special discount. Either way, the rrp for the oil is cheaper than most of the other full syn oils out there.
Cheers. I'll be waiting at their door in the morning.
I'm fairly confident my smell with be extinguished. Valvoline Tech support are eagerly waiting an outcome also...