Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Crankshaft Question

dezrik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 5.0L Berlina S2 Slushbox
Hey guys,

I got a new crank from a guy on Ebay, it was only $80 but beautiful, acid washed, all measurements exactly correct, etc. so I was happy for the price. (Well at least I think that's a good price.)

Problem is it appears to be from a manual... I hadn't thought ahead and realized that perhaps the Manual and Auto V8 cranks are different...

Basically the nub at the end is longer on one than the other one.

Can I still use it with some mucking about?

Thoughts, opinions?

dezrik

Reaction score
Members Ride
P.S. Sorry if this is one of those none-too-bright style questions.

dezrik

Reaction score
Members Ride
D'oh.

Well the old man seems to think he'll come round and find a way... just hopefully his way won't involve stuffing with the integrity or performance too much.

No one wants to swap cranks do they? :)

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
The spigot size is different with each crank. The auto one is 15mm deep, the manual is 10mm. If you use a manual crank on an auto you wont have the required clearance for the torque converter and could run into problems.
AirStrike :air:

dezrik

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well... looks like I try and sell it then and get a nice shiny auto crank.

Or I could try and get a manual conversion...

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
dezrik said:
Well... looks like I try and sell it then and get a nice shiny auto crank.

Or I could try and get a manual conversion...
The factory cranks aint anything special any ways.
Ring the crankshaft rebuilders here in VIC and have a chat to them. If anyone can help you out it will be them.
AirStrike :air:

dezrik

Reaction score
Members Ride
For now I'm just trying to stick with the mostly stocko car as I plan on getting a new block/engine build in six months - a year.

I'd just love to see the comparison between fairly stock / 355 stroker. I'll definitely be looking into places like Crankshaft Rebuilders at that point.

So currently my stocko rebuild is aimed as a 'cheap as I can do it whilst maintaining quality' (and of course by quality I mean like OEM quality, so neither super shiny Arias pistons, nor cheap crap that will break in two minutes.)

So... There's a question in all this:

Can't I just get someone to machine out the extra five mm in the spigot hole? Would this work? I assume it would... But I figured I'd ask the experts.

dezrik

Reaction score
Members Ride
I was thinking the same thing... It's only 5mm of depth, everything else seems exactly the same so I'll give it a go.

I'm only taking this route, as currently the car is my cheap-project-car challenge I have set myself (most performance/quality for as little outlay as possible) and as I stated above in about half a year will see another go-round with a lot more expensive and powerful goodies.