Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN S1 Crank Bearings Main & Conrod

Sandst4rm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S1 Calais Ecotec - VP Ute 3800
I have stripped my buick down to the bare block.

Come to find out the engine is fitted with king bearings on conrods and main @ 010 undersize. I suspect I have bought somebody's racecar.
The cylinder bore from what I have measured is around 98mm rather than 96.5 original bore bringing it around 3.9L-4.0L provided the stroke is 86.3mm.
The rear main has been replaced with a 2 piece neoprene seal. The welch plugs look pretty new as well for the 12/90 S1 motor.

The engine had knock for 1/2 a second before oil pressure came up but I didn't know where. Also another burnt valve after I fixed one

I can't really catch my fingernail on any part of the crank or any bearing so; Should I get the crankshaft reground to 020 undersize? it still looks slightly scored or like wear-marked whatever you wanna call it. I want this engine perfect.
I will be doing spool H beam rods and maybe some pistons but will have to measure up the ones it had.

Might add photo.

Screenshot (3098).png
Screenshot (3099).png
Screenshot (3100).png

Sparesbox are the only guys so far I've found that do main bearings and conrod bearings for S1 buicks but they only have both in 030 undersize so if you guys know anywhere else that would be great.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Tried US suppliers?

Sandst4rm

Reaction score
Members Ride
Tried US suppliers?
Like who? what suppliers?

Sparesbox reckons the bearings are different from S1 to S2 buick which seems about right to me considering they changed the cam.

I have double checked the crank and my fingernail is definitely not interested in catching any grooves so maybe I'll just polish.
Unsure if the crankshaft rear is a small diameter 6 bolt for auto. People say the cranks are different but it fits with my auto so no concern there just thought it might be interesting.

Screenshot (3102).png
Screenshot (3101).png

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Series 1 was different between auto and manual cranks.

Ideally you'd need to measure the crank and bearings to check clearances.

These cranks were the same as the US cranks as this is basically a US LN3 engine with a slightly modified intake elbow.

Sandst4rm

Reaction score
Members Ride
Update! I have measured it up with original tolerance book and a micrometer and need to go with .020 or .030; because conrod journal 1 is oval shaped and out of spec as a result.

I am going with .030 to be certain i have got the low spots as it is very close to 020 already - just ordered the 030 bearings from sparesbox since at least they have both main and rod bearings in stock for series 1 motors.

It remains to be seen where i can get a good price in adelaide for crank grinding.