Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cranky VSSSUTE 355 Twin Throttle Walkinshaw Build Thread

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
Got the drop down box cut in now just make a few adjustments and start to hook all the linkages up for the shifter
F7E1A7CC-E31F-4265-A5AD-239CACBAEF5E_zpsbaxn4w9f.jpg

Lol mate took me a month to get carpet in, and ute pretty much in my lounge room, two weeks would be fast the rate i am going.

Ps did you use the standard cable that came with shifter? And what box were you running?

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
So was a bit of a fluke but i took my time putting drop down in, in what was what i thought perfect position. So with shifter in and the auto facias slightly adjusted its a perfect fit.
2BFEBB32-A3EF-47F3-8E9A-3FCBEA4FCE53_zpsdtzswxmc.jpg

I also am thinking of mounting nuts under the drop down box so dont have to piss about trying to get nuts n bolts done up from underneath car.
As you can see because i cut the reverse lock out lever n welded in line with shifter its a tad short, who uses these shifters been shorter will it be annoying? And no it does not hit facia not even close.
7DBC7D08-8619-499D-A2BD-D62AE4FF1A26_zpsnr69ag92.jpg

I will also be putting the black slide strip back in so you will not see white facia and will cut slot in it for the reverse lock out lever
C2811FFD-115A-4210-9410-C905F891710D_zpssaaz3xxc.jpg

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Looking good.

Maybe use some rivnuts?

mEHftD00RC6Oe1QRkKCNmug.jpg

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
You read my mind just spent last 30mins looking at all different kinds of rivet nuts n rivet plates etc, think ill have a crack at the rivet nuts! I know you need to be careful not to overtighten as can be a prick to unscrew if you damage them, guessing well and trully strong enough as wouldnt think ripping on the shifter would be that much force

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
Lol mate took me a month to get carpet in, and ute pretty much in my lounge room, two weeks would be fast the rate i am going.

Ps did you use the standard cable that came with shifter? And what box were you running?

haha youre making really good progress

yeh i used the standard cable. a mate of mine was telling me he was torching it on the street and it melted the cable and he was stuck in 3rd for the whole ride home.

that made me paranoid, so my brother bought home aviation heat tape and also got some heat wrap fibre stuff (it sort of looks like the heat wrap that goes over spark plug leads but not as thick) and slid the cord thru that.

but in all honesty, its over kill. i know heaps of people that have run the standard cable and never had any dramas.

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
im in a shitty mood. put everything together last night. screwed everything down. went to ratchet it down from 'drive' to 3rd and it wouldnt move (real stiff). so out again with the centre console (for like the 47th time). the trans cable was hittin on the support for the power button. so trimmed that down, then notice it wasnt grabbing gears when ratcheting up. moved the entire shifter foward then loosening up one of the springs. took it for a drive and was grabbin every gear so i was happy. went to try and put it in park and it wouldnt go in..

so throwin a wild guess and hoping because i moved the shifter forward its throw out the cable aligning. hoping i just gotta re-adjust the cable. but because theres so much tension on 'Park' it might not grab first after this.

with sound deadner

DSC00439.jpg

also i cant recommend this enough, SOUND DEADEN the **** out of the drop box.

thank me later.

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
Yea 100% mate was only thinking that yesterday, all that effort of sound deadening to have a big metal box next to zaust n box with zero sound deadening. Still got to hook it up and set up the dekota module

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Rivnuts hell handy if you're usually only person working on car alone.

Short reverse lockout wont matter as long as it works & most importantly clears everything no cutting.

My vh the cable gets a bit hot,notice it on really hot days stuck in traffic shifting feel dealayed but surprisingly it's melted speedo cable & extra earth cable but not shifter cable.

Other thing ESSENTIAL is seal up any & all holes so no heat or wind gets in or you'll pull interior apart again just to fix it.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Take some pics of installing the Dakota thingy, would like one in my cars if all goes well with it in yours.

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
Hahaha i taking plenty of pics as i know drop down box etc is a common mod now. Ill be using dakota to light all the original gear selector emblems up, using leds

And yes i am into pointless mods most people cant be efed with