Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Crash warning system among high-tech features for VF Commodore and Chev SS

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
A COLLISION warning system, blind-spot alert and keyless remote engine start are among the high-tech features set to make their Holden debut on the company’s new-generation VF Commodore and its American export offshoot, the Chevrolet SS, that are both due in showrooms next year.

Electric power-assisted steering and an electric parking brake are also included in the new Australian-developed large car that will carry the Commodore badge through to about 2018, and perhaps for the last time.

Lighter and more frugal than the current VE Commodore that was introduced in 2006, the VF will employ a host of fuel-saving measures, starting with a greater use of thin, high-strength steel.

Despite speculation that the new Commodore would use aluminium in its sheet-metal, GoAuto has been told that steel is being employed on the skin of camouflaged prototypes now roaming Victorian roads, in both left- and right-hand-drive forms.

GM Holden chairman and managing director Mike Devereux told the first Alternative Fuels Summit in Brisbane last year that GM Holden had targeted “mid-eights” fuel consumption for the VF, thanks partly to a federal government Green Car Innovation Fund co-investment grant of $39.8 million to develop methods to cut the car’s mass and aerodynamic drag.

Ultra-light plastic moulded door trims, a plastic spare wheel holder in the boot, revised suspension components and featherweight headlight assemblies are among a vast number of components redeveloped by engineers to help cut fuel economy by a minimum seven per cent while also improving performance of the new model.

The pre-crash system is probably GM’s Forward Collision Warning System that debuted on the GMC Terrain SUV in the US last year.

It uses a single digital camera mounted at the top of the windscreen and sophisticated computer algorithms to detect an imminent frontal crash and warn the driver.

On the Commodore, it is expected to be standard equipment on upper-spec models, including the Chevrolet SS bound for North America in late 2013.

That system and the blind-spot warning device can be switched on and off by the press of a button on the steering wheel, which also carries audio and cruise control buttons.

A flat-bottomed steering wheel in stitched leather is expected in the sports models, such as the SS and SS-V, which will also get keyless entry and start.

Top models get a key fob with a button that can start the engine remotely – a system developed for the Caprice PPV (Police Patrol Vehicle) so police officers can start the car and thus the air-conditioning system when an arrested person is locked in the car.

A more conventional round plastic-finished steering wheel is destined for the lower models, which will also miss out on the keyless start.

Although powertrain options remain a closely guarded secret, an upgraded V6 engine line-up can be expected, with Holden possibly moving from the current 210kW 3.6-litre premium V6 engine now fitted to the SV6, to the latest LFX version of the GM V6.

This could be the V6 employed in the base model of the Caprice PPV that is made in Australia for North American law enforcement fleets.

Producing an extra 14kW of power (224kW) and an extra 9Nm of torque (359Nm), this V6 also saves more than 9kg in weight, thanks to integrated exhaust headers and a composite intake manifold.

Alternatively, Holden might go all the way to the Cadillac CTS’s 237kW/373Nm 3.6-litre V6, which is also part LFX family.

At some point, the V8 alternative is likely to be a variant of GM’s forthcoming Gen-V small-block V8 – an all-new engine family designed to improve fuel efficiency while increasing performance.

This engine will employ direct injection when its goes into production in North America in February.

Six-speed manual and automatic transmissions appear set to remain, with both options making it to the US market.

The Commodore’s interior is set to come in for a major overhaul, adopting a number of features such as switchgear from up-spec Chevrolet models such as the Australian-engineered Chevrolet Camaro.

Stitched dashboard surfaces – including what appears to be leather and a form of suede – give a Euro touch, while wood, satin aluminium, chrome and piano-black trim finishes will appear in various combinations across the range.

A large angled LCD screen will be embedded in the dash and worked by twist knobs located just below it. The screen will be corralled on each side by large vertical air vents.

The central console will be less cluttered than before, with a simple parking brake switch replacing the traditional handbrake lever, while the electric window switch cluster of the VE model will finally be moved to the doors.

LED mood lighting is placed above the front door handles and console, while the dials in the instrument binnacle are said to give off a combination of blue and red hues, depending on whether the car is at rest or being driven.

Top-end models are expected to get driving lights and LED daytime-running lights, while the rear light clusters appear to have a family resemblance to those on the Cruze sedan.

Holden 2013 Commodore - Exclusive: Holden Commodore to get pre-crash system | GoAuto

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Electric power-assisted steering - that's a bit of a worry. This has compromised steering feedback and feel in many other makes - let's hope Holden get it right!

Keyless entry & start? Remote engine starting? ......I like! :D

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
This isn't a Commodore. To fancy :D.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
The pre-crash system is probably GM’s Forward Collision Warning System that debuted on the GMC Terrain SUV in the US last year.

It uses a single digital camera mounted at the top of the windscreen and sophisticated computer algorithms to detect an imminent frontal crash and warn the driver.

Will this stop tailgating?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
If this article is accurate, I'm amazed at the detail of information that has been released so far in advance of the car's debut.

Over past months, various publications have contained articles about the VF's design and the difference between each one of them is remarkable - there is no similarity between them at all. The ability of Holden to keep the design details of the VF secret so far is pretty amazing. I can recall when Wheels and Modern Motor had detailed "spy pics" of new models up to a year ahead of release date but these days, all we get is blurry pics of camouflaged or bra-fitted cars taken at a distance. (And why, with modern technology, are the pics always so lacking in clarity and detail?)

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
I was listening to someone talking in a group the other day how their new car gave warnings for this, that and the other.

My opinion is we are becoming dumbed down with all this technology. For instance if you can't reverse your car without judging a distance and hitting the wall/car/post behind you, you shouldn't be driving anyway.

I elected not to have reverse sensors when I bought the VE, the day I can't back up without hitting something I will hand in my licence.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I was listening to someone talking in a group the other day how their new car gave warnings for this, that and the other.

My opinion is we are becoming dumbed down with all this technology. For instance if you can't reverse your car without judging a distance and hitting the wall/car/post behind you, you shouldn't be driving anyway.

I elected not to have reverse sensors when I bought the VE, the day I can't back up without hitting something I will hand in my licence.

Exactly. TBH the one thing that shits me to tiers on the E3 is about 40 seconds of warning dings and clangs every time I start the car.

1. I know how to put on my seatbelt
2. I know not to back into **** (although the reverse camera is handy)
3. I can see out the windscreen and know weather I'm going to hit stuff in front
4. I have nfi what the other dings mean but I'm sure I know not to do whatever they are warning me of as well!!!!

Reaper

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004

Reverse sensors I kinda like.
I think they may already have saved lives by stopping people backing over their toddlers in their driveways.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Reverse sensors I kinda like.
I think they may already have saved lives by stopping people backing over their toddlers in their driveways.

You know what, if you are safety conscious you don't run over toddlers. I had 3 kids and managed never to run them over. It goes like this.

1. Ensure toddlers are being held by an adult in full view of you, or are inside behind closed doors.
2. Reverse.

Same goes for out and about. If you have your wits about you in car parks you should be aware of youngsters around and keep you eye on them. It's not hard. People have been doing it for years and years.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
You know what, if you are safety conscious you don't run over toddlers. I had 3 kids and managed never to run them over. It goes like this.

1. Ensure toddlers are being held by an adult in full view of you, or are inside behind closed doors.
2. Reverse.

Same goes for out and about. If you have your wits about you in car parks you should be aware of youngsters around and keep you eye on them. It's not hard. People have been doing it for years and years.

Clair

Can't agree with you regarding the sensors. I've been driving for over forty years and until the last car, never had nor felt the need for sensors. I fitted them to the Berlina and never regretted doing so. Modern cars tend to put styling before function and rear vision always seems to suffer as a result. Whilst cars have this tendency, age also plays a part and as one ages, the flexibility of limb suffers. It becomes difficult to turn your upper body and head with the ease you used to experience when reversing and those little electric parking aids are pretty damned handy.

With regard to kids, well, fine, so far as your own are concerned, but what about other kids who might run behind your car AFTER you have secured your children and entered the car? Not all parents are as safety conscious as yourself and permit their toddlers to run around without paying sufficient attention to their safety. Too many kids are killed by innocent parents, but they are not always their own kids. If your car doesn't have a reversing camera, sensors are the next best thing.