Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Creating an AWD Monaro.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
AllPaw CV8 & HSV Coupe4 , Hi Guys, Do you still have the IRS rear end off the Adventra, and if you do would you sell it and for how much. I would like to fit it to my Cross6 Crewman....engineering I know but my engineer mate says it can be done. Cheers Dave. "tannertp21"
Hmmmm ............ Why ?
The Crewman has leaf springs because it is a load carrying vehicle, with the load spread points on the rear chassis at the leaf eyes.
Are you going to make a cradle to attach the IRS at these points ?
Engineeering ......... how will this conversion affect the cab / rear chassis attachment ?
If you go ahead with it ........... a new build thread would be interesting.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Yes please. A build thread would be great. Love build threads.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Here is a bit that I had archived about how the New One Tonner, a Newcastle company, made 'Crewmans' and 'One tonners' before Holden did.
The IRS was used instead of leaf springs, but the rear chassis was very different.
For the info and enjoyment of those interested. :)

1664958555672.png

Each chassis is precisely constructed in a jig that is dimensionally accurate to within 0.5mm. In this pic - looking at the underside of a completed chassis to suit a VT series car - the diagonal fuel tank locating braces and tail light mounts are at the left, the spring pads and suspension front mounts toward the middle, and the prongs that integrate to the floor of the Commodore's original cabin are on the right. Supplemented by the bracing and boxing applied to the rear of the cabin, it creates a vehicle that is far stiffer in beam and torsion than the original sedan.

1664958587555.png

This view of the side of a Tonner yet to receive its body caps shows the integration of the chassis into the rear of the sedan cabin. The large main chassis members (lower right) disappear under the floor of the cabin, while the tray bed rails terminate in a stout cross-section that is braced from one B-pillar to the other. This picture also gives some of the idea of the space available in the cabin in what were the sedan's rear footwells. The sheet-metal box is a handy cabin storage bin, complete with a shrouded outlet for the retained flow-through ventilation.

1664958694617.png

The VT-VX Tonners retain the donor Holden independent rear suspension. The chassis replicates the donor sedan's upper spring pads, diff, damper and sub frame mounting locations, allowing the use of standard-style components, (spec'd up, of course, to suit the increased payload). The L-shaped brackets along the top of the rails are to mount the alloy tray that will be fitted to this Tonner. This particular car also has a hand-built exhaust system fitted with high-mount mufflers - usually the standard system is retained, suitably lengthened to match the Tonner's wheelbase stretch.

1664958728458.png

At the rear of the chassis, the original blow-moulded plastic fuel tank from the donor car is retained. This not only keeps costs down compared to a fabricated steel or alloy tank, but ensures continued compliance with the original evaporative emissions regulations, and eliminates any problems with long-term durability or spare parts. It is also the correct shape for the spare wheel! The box to the mid right is the original charcoal canister also retained for emissions laws. Visible, too, is the self-levelling suspension system pump retained from the top-spec Caprice donor car.

Attachments

• 1664958627912.png
    1664958627912.png
    536 KB · Views: 124

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
That thing looks hideous! No way this was actually being made and I don't think this company made many, but it's still interesting to learn that there were VT/VX 1 Tonners... Question, was anybody building any VN Series 1 Tonners (already know about the VS LWB Ute) and was there any VE Series 1 Tonners?

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Here's the picture of the rear end of the VT/VX 1 Tonners... Insert spew emoji

1665006357515.png

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
That thing looks hideous! No way this was actually being made and I don't think this company made many, but it's still interesting to learn that there were VT/VX 1 Tonners... Question, was anybody building any VN Series 1 Tonners (already know about the VS LWB Ute) and was there any VE Series 1 Tonners?
Yes. They did the same thing.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Question, was anybody building any VN Series 1 Tonners (already know about the VS LWB Ute) and was there any VE Series 1 Tonners?
Yes, they did convert VS utes to one tonners with a different chassis to what I posted.
When Holden released the Crewman and Tonner, they shut up shop for obvious reasons.

@Dave Tanner was asking if a Crewman could be converted to IRS.
Personally, I can't see the point, but what I posted was more about the different engineering to Holden's ( and Ford's ) approach .......... leaf springs with the rear chassis glued / bolted to the rear of the cab.
An IRS could change the pivot / load point, and end up with the dual cab 'banana' bend.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
They should open again and make VE and VF Tonners.

Imagine how many rear ended VFs could be saved.