Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

mismatched Tires on AWD ZB's... thoughts and opinions?

me_like_fuelBurners

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Commodore RS V6
Just thought I'd throw an idea out there to see what peoples thoughts are....

I know some AWD systems can be quite sensitive and require all tires to be replaced at the same time. This is to minimise the possibility of different tires on the car having slightly different outer circumferences, therefor causing the AWD system to be under unnecessary stress due to the fact it distributes power to each wheel based on the wheel speed.
So due to the fact that nearly every commodore prior was RWD and the rear tires (for some strange reason ;)) required replacement at 2-3x the rate of the front - are we maybe underestimating the effect mismatched tires might be having on the ZB's AWD system?

I'm not saying everyone has different tire brands on the front vs rear, but in these tough economic times, I could completely understand why some simply may not be able to financially justify changing all 4 every time a tire goes bald.

The Owners Manual states:
"Note
For optimum system performance,
the vehicle's tyres should not have
varying degrees of wear or be of

different sizes."

Anyway, would love to hear ppl's thoughts on this.... might be a factor as to why so many diffs etc are dying so early? or maybe not?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
when i got mine it had different brands front to rear with different wear but they were all the same size.
it never had any issues but i ended up replacing all 4 to re003's at the same time.

Reactions: Lex

me_like_fuelBurners

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Commodore RS V6
when i got mine it had different brands front to rear with different wear but they were all the same size.
it never had any issues but i ended up replacing all 4 to re003's at the same time.
mine was similar, front 2 different brand to rear 2 but the same size technically....
But although different brands all produce the same size tire, the reality is they have slight differences when it comes to outside diameter. Plus the fact that different brand = different material/rubber composition = different wear pattern

I didn't think that different brands would make much difference, until last week when the diff was diagnosed as f#^ked and is getting replaced as we speak. With my new diff, all 4 tires will be identical me thinks

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
mine was similar, front 2 different brand to rear 2 but the same size technically....
But although different brands all produce the same size tire, the reality is they have slight differences when it comes to outside diameter. Plus the fact that different brand = different material/rubber composition = different wear pattern

I didn't think that different brands would make much difference, until last week when the diff was diagnosed as f#^ked and is getting replaced as we speak. With my new diff, all 4 tires will be identical me thinks

the diff issue is a common thing and not really related to the tires, it seems to be the poor manufacture lottery on that one.

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
I am currently running Michelin PS4S on the rear and PSSS on the front and I don't have any problems. My car had it's diff issues when it had PSSS on all 4 corners so it cannot be tyre related.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

The tyre brands have bugger all to do with the diff issues.

It's when you put totally different sizes, front and rear that problems with the diff occur.

Most passenger tyres have 6MM of tread...6MM difference in tread ain't going to foobar a diff

Different brands don't wear differently....The composition of the rubber may cause one to wear evenly quicker than the other, but all in all, that's not the cause of your problem....By making a comment like this, would insinuate having your alignment out, would cause a diff to stuff up....We all know that's not true

Issue is, a cruddy diff...Nothing more, nothing less

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Assuming you're using quality brands, the difference if any will be minuscule as the difference between two identical tyres from the same factory. The computer allows some tolerance. AWD cars tend to wear fronts faster than rears which likewise will see a minor difference in diameter over time, so even if you get four shoes at the same time you end up in the same place

me_like_fuelBurners

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Commodore RS V6
The tyre brands have bugger all to do with the diff issues.

It's when you put totally different sizes, front and rear that problems with the diff occur.

Most passenger tyres have 6MM of tread...6MM difference in tread ain't going to foobar a diff

Different brands don't wear differently....The composition of the rubber may cause one to wear evenly quicker than the other, but all in all, that's not the cause of your problem....By making a comment like this, would insinuate having your alignment out, would cause a diff to stuff up....We all know that's not true

Issue is, a cruddy diff...Nothing more, nothing less
fair comment... i wasn't thinking alignment either but more towards individual wheel speed as i thought that the power distribution would be governed by comparing speed of each wheel to all others...?
I ain't arguing, just brainstorming :)
I do agree tho, cruddy diff is definitely suspect #1 .

me_like_fuelBurners

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Commodore RS V6
I am currently running Michelin PS4S on the rear and PSSS on the front and I don't have any problems. My car had it's diff issues when it had PSSS on all 4 corners so it cannot be tyre related.
good to hear, thanks for chipping in :)

jeepster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
Just thought I'd throw an idea out there to see what peoples thoughts are....

I know some AWD systems can be quite sensitive and require all tires to be replaced at the same time. This is to minimise the possibility of different tires on the car having slightly different outer circumferences, therefor causing the AWD system to be under unnecessary stress due to the fact it distributes power to each wheel based on the wheel speed.
So due to the fact that nearly every commodore prior was RWD and the rear tires (for some strange reason ;)) required replacement at 2-3x the rate of the front - are we maybe underestimating the effect mismatched tires might be having on the ZB's AWD system?

Anyway, would love to hear ppl's thoughts on this.... might be a factor as to why so many diffs etc are dying so early? or maybe not?
I have driven Falcons and Commodores all my life, I replaced all 4 tyres at the same time. How hard are you driving to flog them out 3x the rate of front? Rather I found on family member's FWD shitboxes, the fronts needed replacing twice as often as rears.