Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Crewman v6 6speed fuel consumption

rudi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive
Hi all
I have asked about this vehicles fuel consumption and generally the consensus is the manual uses more than the auto.
I still can't get my head around that cause its normally the opposite. Especially with older vehicles.

Do Crewman manual 6 speeds normally run a 1 tonner diff that is all about revs and high revs. Sorry I don't know how it should be explained. Meaning the gear changes have to be quick because the acceleration is quick but the cruising speed revs are high? Causing higher fuel consumption.
If this is the case can a Commodore normal diff be used to allow easier less revs cruising speed? To help the fuel consumption? Or does this make take off too hard and labours the engine?

I need ok fuel consumption on the highway mainly. say 70% highway and 30% city.
Plus I don't always thrash the engine, well sometimes.
Thanks
Rudi

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
The manual being more economical that auto was more around the time of the trimatics when they didn't have an overdrive or lock out convertor. That was in the 80's before the 4 speed. Modern autos after that are generally thought to be more economical but it is all about the driver.

the 6 speed should have the 3.43 diff ratio which is right, the 3.08 would be a dog and I would think cause too much load to be economical.

rudi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive
Thanks Towcar
I was talking to a 2007 auto v6 Crewman owner,
He reckons his can get 700 ks on long runs and 550ks around town. from a 65 litre tank.
Any idea if this might be real or selling bs?