Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cruise control = fugged?

steane

Reaction score
Website
www.carupdate.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Maloo 6spd
Shortsta said:
Fair enough Troy.

My mistake.

I made the assumption that you started up...drove off...hadnt used the brakes.....and then tried to engage to no success :embarrass (i live in a remote area, so for me, not touching the brakes for the first 10 minutes of driving isnt unheard of). My comments are still accurate in the circumstance where you havent braked after starting the vehicle and try to engage cruise, but if youve used the brakes and cruise wont engage then its obviously a fault, and the dealership should fix it as a warranty job. Good luck :D
You are right re the operation of the cruise. It happens to me all the time on highway trips. You pull in for a break or some petrol and then head off again and the cruise doesnt work. It's amazing how far you can drive without actually using the brake.
First time it happened to me I thought the cruise was stuffed. Second time it happened in exactly the same spot (ie just after stopping at the BP on the way to Ballarat) so I figured something was up.
The dealer confirmed that you need to dab the brake...

R

rokjaw

Computer Communications

Havent had this happen in the Holden as yet. Previously had a LR Disco which used similar BCM systems. These would seem to get funny at times. Things like cruise not working, speedo showing no speed, gear box going into limp mode, and others. Had the system fail during a service, and the guys found a resetable communications error (sounds big). By turning off the car and then restarting, you send a program reset to all the modules, and they will sing from the same hym sheet. It would appear that some events, within the car, when happening at certain times confuse the modules, or the interconnection between modules, and they go into a default mode. No one could tell me if this would lead to any "real" failures. :bang:

malscar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZSv6
Interesting about it being in the manual. Not in mine. Just reread it so they must have added a bit to it.(Mine is a Oct 04). Could explain it in my case as it has only happened when I have stopped on a highway and then restarted. Will need to try this next time it won't work.

Grumble

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 manual
Cruise control

Had similar problem with mine when new. Turned out in my case that the brake light plunger was too finely tuned and the brake lights were often (but not allways) on. Any rubbish on the plunger was enough to leave the lights on. Hence no cruise!

Made worse the the $%*& dealer stuffing the switch mounting when trying to adjust then wedging it in rather than replacing it. Once I found it (brake lights on all the time in the drive that night!) we had a few choice words the following morning.

Quite right about having to tap the break pedal, also seems touchy if the seatbelt waring is activated as I sometimes get exceeding 25 km/hr (!) between the office car park & the gate.

alimpyer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ UTE 3.6 M6
Happens to me too, only if i dont disnenage/turn cruise control off before turing the car off. ie, doing 100ish then pull into a servo on the side of a freeway turn car off. never remember to press the button.

Stretchomatic

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
86 VL Berlina M5
what speed are you going when you try...probly a dumb thing as i'm sure you know, but cruise doesnt work under a certain speed...

i dont think this should be a problem for a new vehicle like yours but my VS (11 years old) wouldnt work, it happened that the repeated movement of the indicator stalk sawed the cruise wires in half inside their loom so i couldnt see all the busted wires, not good when u solder two and find the other two have snapped further down...

hope thats maybe a help...if not any VS owners will know to be on the lookout now.

B

Bobster

Have had this off/on for nearly two years but notice it does it when I leave an area of high electric power consumption eg. from a bakers hot bread shop does it every time.
Have just left this same area and hit the brakes but it would not switch in, turned off then on still no go, come to a stop and reset by turning engine off all OK just to see if it was just a coincidence went back and yep it did not work again.

Damned if I know but hey you can get around it why worry.

VZGEN4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER
Troy711 said:
i was trying (both times) at about 100. both times it was after atleast 15 minutes or so of driving and i had used the brakes since i first took off

Not being a smartarse here troy but is the switch on your brake pedal working correctly?