Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cruise control go on holiday

Rickman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais 3.8
Cruise control gone on holiday

New to forum - I have recently had my car into the Holden dealership to fix central locking problems and they found dust in the computer (caused by panel beater), got fixed but cost me $200 for them to find the problem. I got it back and now the Cruise Control isn't working. The green light comes on, but the orange (setting) light doesn't come on at all. Checked fuses, any ideas as I'm going to have to book it in at the stealer again.:ranting:

Last edited:

vsMick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
tell them asap that it worked before you got there and you want it fixed for free, could be heaps of things, even the switch could be dead

Rickman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais 3.8
Thanks for the replies. I did go to the dealer today and said that it was working before it went in and suggested it might have been part of the dust in the computer problem. I'll have to see how I go with that. I am a bit sceptical as they told me my front disc pads were nearly worn out. I replaced them myself on the weekend and found they were only half worn at best. Kinda makes it hard to trust them eh?

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Thats why you should come on here first and try to sort out the probs yourself. Dust in the computer does not sound right at all. Maybe metal filings, as they would short different connections. Dust will only make bits heat up, so you might get some funny problems if they really start to get warm. Its pretty rare.

nick88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS Voodoo
i thought mine wasnt working the other day cause the orange light wasnt comming on, but my light just blew cause the cruise still works, so see if thats the same as you aswell?
If not, i got no idea:p
Nick

94 Stato V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Series 11 wagon, 2014 VF SV6 Storm Ute
I had a similar problem with the Stato when I bought it, that the cruise didn't work all the time. I found the brake pedal switch that turns the cruise off when you touch the brakes was set too high and wasn't allowing the cruise to turn on all the time. Try pulling the brake pedal toward you with your toe and try setting the cruise, if that works just adjust your switch, probably only needs a 1/2 turn. Failing that, do a search thru this website about the cruise control stalk switches, apparently they can be a problem too.

Hope its as easy as mine was to fix
Tim

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
Brake Switch?

Hi,

I am assuming that your car is an auto.

Occasionally when I play around under my dash with the wires, my cruise control stops working. Every time I have accidentally bumped the micro-switch on the clutch pedal. Symptoms are exactly as you describe.

There is also a micro-switch on the brake pedal, which disconnects the cruise control if you apply the brakes. I would check this first.

Rickman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais 3.8
Thanks for the quick replies. Funny thing about the dust in the computer, I believe them as it took me ages to clean it out, but the panel beating work was done over a year ago. I don't believe much of what they say, but the service guy gave me a discount on the labour so maybe it's not so bad.

I'll try the microswitch thing because having just changed the pads the pedal might be sitting a bit higher. Hope I can fix it before Friday as it's booked in at the stealer !