Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cruise control won't activate

RATBOX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Hi i have a 07/01 VX SS commodore when trying to use the cruise control press button cruise light comes on in dash but won't set or activate, i see that the stalk and globes can be an issue i've checked all the globes and at some point before i got the car it's had a second hand stalk put on it based on the pink texta writing on it, i've also had an auto elec look and put a scan tool on it he says everything is working (based on using a multi meter) up to the module
my question is how likely is it that it could be the module or do you have any other suggestions, also if it is the module is it as simple as getting another one and putting it on and plugging it in or does it need programing

thanks

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Gord our stopped working a a few years and we would use the over speed warning on the dash.
Latter found a place that sells the complete control arm and when fitted the cruise control stared working again.
I coulnt beleive it was that easy after reading all the horror stories in here.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Would also check to see if your brake (not just regular lights) lights are working too. On every other model of Commo cruise control doesn't work if one of the globes is blown, guessing by design or there's just not enough resistance to cancel the cruise control when you brake.

RATBOX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
thanks all globes and lights including brake lights (first thing i checked) have been checked, an auto elec checked the stalk using a multimeter and said a signal is being sent as far as the module but couldn't check past there so suggested to change the module, BUT they seem to have a lot of different numbers with bar code on the side of them so not sure if i need a matching number or if that makes no difference, he also said it may need to be programmed those are my 2 main things i'm asking 1 if i need matching number and 2 will it need to be programmed, and kinda also does the fact a signal is being sent mean nothing and it still could be the stalk
thanks

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
Have you checked the brake pedal switches, I say switch(es) as there are two switches in the one unit, one for the brake light circuit and one for the criuse control circuit.

It's down under the drivers side attached to the brake pedal. That would be the first thing to check if the brake lights function and "cruise" illuminates in the instrument cluster but the cruise control wont engage.

And one other thing, is it manual or auto?

Last edited:

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
As above.....
Manuals have a cut out switch on the clutch,
so as it doesn't over rev when changing gears.
If everything else checks out, including the module, it could be the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) is playing up.

RATBOX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
well i changed the module, nothing, bought a new blinker arm for shits and giggles, nothing, then one day randomly driving hit the switch as i always did just to see and it worked

eetmesoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SEDAN...AND A VE TOO!
in a post I was reading you said "well i changed the module, nothing, bought a new blinker arm for shits and giggles, nothing, then one day randomly driving hit the switch as i always did just to see and it worked" so I am wondering if the original items that you changed...are available for me to buy? This old Pensioner wants to add cruise control to a VX Series 1 sedan I just bought...