Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

crushing cars and installing speed limiters for "hoons"

moose man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII
crushing cars is a pointless waste of resources and is just going to increase the number of people that will use high speeds to evade the police to prevent them impounding the car to crush it

how hard would it be to remove a speed limiter, especially on an older car?

Crushing cars is a great idea. How many people out there would approve of drink driving every time you wanted to overtake someone, or just every now and then? Drink driving is almost exactly the same as speeding. You could do it every day for the rest of your life and never crash or cause trouble, but it's when something goes wrong that you could easily lose control.
Wait until an innocent family loved one is on the news killed by a drunk or speeding driver before you say it's ok to speed.

Crushing the car isn't designed to stop the actual person doing it again, it's a public display to the rest of the community. "This is what happens if you do the wrong thing"
It hurts to see someone elses nice car crushed.

How many people today would traffic drugs to Bali after those 9 got caught and have to eat their own **** to survive jail? It's the same thing. Make an example of someone to stop it happening in the future.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
How many people today would traffic drugs to Bali after those 9 got caught and have to eat their own **** to survive jail? It's the same thing. Make an example of someone to stop it happening in the future.

yet people still do it? how many australians get caught doing that. same will go for hoon laws. make them as bad as you want, people will still do it. the only problem is the bigger the punishment is, the more reckless the offender is going to be in order to escape that punishment, and if evading police at 200+ km/h is going to stop them losing their car, mor people will be inclined to take that chance

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Crushing cars is a great idea. How many people out there would approve of drink driving every time you wanted to overtake someone, or just every now and then? Drink driving is almost exactly the same as speeding. You could do it every day for the rest of your life and never crash or cause trouble, but it's when something goes wrong that you could easily lose control.
Wait until an innocent family loved one is on the news killed by a drunk or speeding driver before you say it's ok to speed.

If your losing control, its not the speed that it is the problem, it is the lack of driver training to get out of the loss of control(or preventing getting into a situation to lose control to begin with). Rarely is speed the sole factor in an accident, it is simply in most cases a small contributor. If I am doing 140 along a road and a car pulls out in front of me, speed will be blamed, yet the complete failure to give way by the other driver is what was at fault here.

The accident the OP mentioned is one of the few fatal accidents that occurs each year where speed is one of the main contributing factors, although, I even doubt the speed was the major contributing problem here, more likely to be the alcohol and the distractions of having drunk mates jumping around the car.
Like many other Australians, you have become a sheeple to the lies that speed kills. Concentration and poor driver education is a much bigger killer. I believe a study has also proven that the low speed limits in Australia are also contributing to many accidents due to causing extra fatigue and thus loss of concentration!

Crushing the car isn't designed to stop the actual person doing it again, it's a public display to the rest of the community. "This is what happens if you do the wrong thing"
It hurts to see someone elses nice car crushed.

If someone else's car is crushed I couldn't give a ****, much like i am guessing 90% of people on JC couldn't care.

Umm, the same amount of people that have done it int he past would still do it today, people have been doing it for decades, no one learns from Thailand etc, there is always deadheads out there that simply do not care if they are caught until they are caught.

Maxxiz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
Crushing cars is stupid IMO, half the "Hoon" cars arent even good ones, they're bombed up VN's, falcons, thrashed camry's, and the occasional laser. They'll think oh well, there goes 500 bucks, off to get another commo. Speed limiters would be great, but they would have to be good.. Teens would probably easily disable them.

moose man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII
If I am doing 140 along a road and a car pulls out in front of me, speed will be blamed, yet the complete failure to give way by the other driver is what was at fault here.

So, it couldn't be your fault at all huh?
It couldn't be that the other driver expected you to be doing 80, or 90kph or whatever and didn't expect you to arrive so quickly?
It couldn't be that at 80kph your car would have had the capability of braking within normal control.
It couldn't be that your attention might have been on the rear vision mirror, or another car, or another driving task so your reaction time was slow.

I agree with some of your comments, but people will always pull out in front of you, or do stupid things. That will never change, but if everyone drove to the speed limit though, there would be a safe margin for error on your part to safely avoid incidents.

You might be the safest driver around, but others aren't. Speed limits are designed with this margin in mind for the 'just in case' scenario.

Maci

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Holden Statesman
having 6 people in a 5 seater (forgot to mention they were also driving a ford)*

whats driving a ford got to do with it? a holden would destroy itself in exactly the same way with a wanker behind the wheel, irrespective of how old or how "hoon" they are.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
So, it couldn't be your fault at all huh?
It couldn't be that the other driver expected you to be doing 80, or 90kph or whatever and didn't expect you to arrive so quickly?
It couldn't be that at 80kph your car would have had the capability of braking within normal control.
It couldn't be that your attention might have been on the rear vision mirror, or another car, or another driving task so your reaction time was slow.

I agree with some of your comments, but people will always pull out in front of you, or do stupid things. That will never change, but if everyone drove to the speed limit though, there would be a safe margin for error on your part to safely avoid incidents.

You might be the safest driver around, but others aren't. Speed limits are designed with this margin in mind for the 'just in case' scenario.

If people actually took 2-3 seconds to give way, instead of just moving out then it wouldnt matter what speed I was doing. 2-3 seconds of ones day to CONFIRM the cars speed is hardly putting one out, you can very easily judge if you can safely move out into flowing traffic in just this time... People these days think give way means yep i have enough room to get out, not sure how fast they are going but ah well they SEEM far enough away.

edit: sorry I am not condoning speeding. I am simply saying, if people followed the road rules correctly, speeding would not be an issue really. Sure if someone gets cleaned up from a car doing 140 in an 80 zone, had the person not been speeding it wouldnt of happened, on the same note, had the driver giving way to the speeding car took time to check oncoming traffic, it wouldn't have happened either.

XST80

Cubic inches or gtfo.
Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Statesman S2 5L
That's why it's kind of retarded advertising a car in regards to how safe it is.

You could have 10 airbags or no airbags, you hit a tree sideways at 180, you're not walking away.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina