Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Custom HWP car number plate

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Okay, today I saw an unusual number plate on a HWP car.

It was a blue plate, with "RBT" lettering.

Now, in NSW, specific lettering and coloured plates cost bux. For a private owner, the cost for this combination would be hundreds of dollars per year in addition to your rego.

I imagine that the police would get this plate combo for a substantially reduced cost,
perhaps cost free. What I can't understand is why a police car would have such plates. And, as "RBT" can only be issued to one vehicle, what other combinations are running around out there on HWP cars, and why?

Has anybody else seen similar plates on cars in NSW, or perhaps other states?

Ado

Are we there yet?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vsII statesman L67
Look at the booze buses on Vic,most have custom plates.Our money well spent NOT.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
Look at the booze buses on Vic,most have custom plates.Our money well spent NOT.

think it costs much to physically make the plates? i highly doubt the govt would be paying $400-500 for each custom plated police vehicle.

but i guess its another reason to whinge about them spending our money, so have at it

keza87

JCCC NSW Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX/VY/VZ Wagon LS1
I have seen a HWP heading up the F3 with HWP ??? (don't remember the numbers) but they are getting around

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
Yeah, I have seen that car once, thought it was a bit over the top...
I'm sure any one would be able to work out they are performing an RBT, by the LED display screen on the top of their vehicles, (which scolls through saying "RBT in progress" - or something to that effect) the little man standing there with his flashy orange light saber and the thing in his hand... :bang:

Oh well, what can I say, even the cops like customising cars!! :p :yeah:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I have seen a HWP heading up the F3 with HWP ??? (don't remember the numbers) but they are getting around

Hi Keza

This might be before your time, but in the mid to late 70's, when the NSW Special Traffic Patrol was renamed the Highway Patrol, the standard pursuit cars were Chargers, and all of them had "HWP XXX" (XXX being numbers) plates as a publicity gimmick. They were also all white, but with full markings, roof lights etc.

Rossbx

Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 VS Commodore Equipe Sedan
Calaber, I could be wrong but in the early days when they had number plates with "HWP XXX" on them, it could have represented the vehicle fleet (HWP) and number of the vehicle (XXX). It is a common practice even today with trucking companies and coach fleets to have uniform custom or even standard issue number plates with the letters first followed by the fleet number.

Like you say though, it is a bit weird for them to just have the letters only

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi

They all have HWP 123

Just like ambulances have AMB 123, tow trucks have ATT 123 (Accident tow truck i assume)

Rossbx

Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 VS Commodore Equipe Sedan
OK thats weird... I stand corrected LOL

ibt18u

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs berlina 5spd wagon black
hey guys around my area there use to be under cover police car in the are it was a fpv dark tints and yes it had custom plates they were random though i did notice somthing odd though
there was a sticker on the back,it said triple o racing in like running writing.full on.