Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cutting a muffler off, which one to cut???

Which muffler to cut off

• Front

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Rear

Votes: 17 94.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
heh, i think they'd laugh at how i attached my tip...

i had it jammed on, right untill i hit a bump and it felt off *hears a TING DING DIGN DING* and found it the next morning

now its poprivited on :p i wonder if they could make it 2.25" to 2.5" where the muffler used to be because the tip i have is 2.5" and i used a hammer to make it fit, but i have a spare tip thats pretty much the same...

gas axe?? i used a angle grinder to hack up this exhust ive got at my house i dont have a welder tho

how much would a exhust shop charge??? pipings not too expensive like $16 per meter and the cost to weld it on

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Replace the main muffler with a straight through muffler and leave the resonator on :), then you'll be talking

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
heh, i think they'd laugh at how i attached my tip...

i had it jammed on, right untill i hit a bump and it felt off *hears a TING DING DIGN DING* and found it the next morning

now its poprivited on :p i wonder if they could make it 2.25" to 2.5" where the muffler used to be because the tip i have is 2.5" and i used a hammer to make it fit, but i have a spare tip thats pretty much the same...

gas axe?? i used a angle grinder to hack up this exhust ive got at my house i dont have a welder tho

how much would a exhust shop charge??? pipings not too expensive like $16 per meter and the cost to weld it on

Dunno how much they'd charge, you'd have to ask around, I know one fella got it done for $50, same as what you said in your first post.

Replace the main muffler with a straight through muffler and leave the resonator on :), then you'll be talking

hmm, I dunno, that's what my VN has and it's ok, not particularly loud though. The reason I recomend he remove the resonator is because it will get a fair bit louder, sound tougher and it's cheaper than doing the main muffler. Sure it'll drone a bit with no ressie, but like I said, get what you pay for.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
next time you see my car you can listen to the exhaust and see if you like it on a v6. i have no rear resonator on mine

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
But with no main muffler if will sound so loud someone will think your sitting on your lawn mower and that's a big fat unroadworthy sticker for you. Far better to flog a loud car with a dead silent one if you ask me :). Be the air man, don't think about removing mufflers think about adding one (on the other side :) )

Nobody Actually

luxo barge
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 wm Caprice
This may sound odd, but this i have tried on a few cars over the years with some nice sounding results.

Get them to replace your resonator with your muffler. So it's straight through piping till the back where your resonator used to be and muffler now is.

Result is fairly sedate at low revs, but a nice bark when you get up it.

I realise it might sound a bit strange of an idea, but it worked for me.

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
cheers man might try that, foam, im looking for a quick fix, on my shopping list is a dual 2.5" or 3" from the headers back with 1 muffler and 1 cat per pipe, but untill then (when i have money) i want it jsut a bit louder and as we've established my cars not the quickest and mainly a cruizer for now

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
5sp VN Executive1988, VX SS 6sp
Costed me $45 cash to get the rear ressie removed. And i was pleased with results.

-UNKNOWN-

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 VR S2 BT1 5 Speed, N13 Pulsar Vector
Get the rear 1 removed for about 40 and get a lukey straight thru muff for your front one for about 140. Make it sound heaps better.