Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cutting a muffler off, which one to cut???

Which muffler to cut off

• Front

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Rear

Votes: 17 94.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
1 problem, havnt got $140, when i say im poor meaning at this time i have 28c in my possession, and 10L in my car, im not fussed dont want to spend money on a exhust yet i want to do it properly, cheers for the suggestion but i have to pay $200 for a holiday im going on then i have to save some cash for it, so car modding stops soon, also cant work heaps because need to study for exams soon

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Take the rear resonator off, it'll be louder but still legal, might drone a bit, but hey ya get what you pay for.

It most definatly *will not* be legal. Been there, found out the hard way about 10 years ago. Unless you drive like a dick, it shouldn't attract too much attention from the police though.

On the other hand, you could wait till you have a bit of $$$ and buy a system that will give a great note and also give a few more RWKW.

Reaper

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
It most definatly *will not* be legal. Been there, found out the hard way about 10 years ago. Unless you drive like a dick, it shouldn't attract too much attention from the police though.

On the other hand, you could wait till you have a bit of $$$ and buy a system that will give a great note and also give a few more RWKW.

Reaper

You serious? Should be legal, the resonator doesn't add much by way of muffling really. Removing the centre muffler is a different matter, that'll probably put it over 90dB. As for saving up, that would be my approach also, but he's already stated that he wants a cheap and immediate solution.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina

Reaper

I have no rear resonator. I passed a decibal test with my exhaust (2.5 inch cat back exhaust with the resonator removed) when I went to Regency Park (Vehicle Inspection Centre).

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
You serious? Should be legal, the resonator doesn't add much by way of muffling really. Removing the centre muffler is a different matter, that'll probably put it over 90dB. As for saving up, that would be my approach also, but he's already stated that he wants a cheap and immediate solution.

LOL THANK YOU, SOMEONE WHO ACTUALLY READS THE POSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
Just grab a dog for it change the note heaps and will make it louder. And still keep it slightly legal with 2 mufflers:D.
My brother sit in the back of my car and moans it's too loud:p. But he does say it's got a unique burble note, Set of a few alarms:D Crackles and pops like rice bubbles:D

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride

Hey - I didn't say don't do it. Anybody who says it's legal is kidding themselves though.

Reaper

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
I have no rear resonator. I passed a decibal test with my exhaust (2.5 inch cat back exhaust with the resonator removed) when I went to Regency Park (Vehicle Inspection Centre).

That is an entirely different thing to cutting the back resonator off a stock system.

Reaper

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Hey - I didn't say don't do it. Anybody who says it's legal is kidding themselves though.

Reaper

True that. Any car built after 1986 or something (not sure on the date, but I know all the VN and VPs are affected by it), must always carry the same number of resonators as it came with stock. For Commodores, this number is two.

I've called VicRoads, and this is quite certainly a fact :thumbsup:

But, if you're going to give one the chop, definately make it the back one. And if you can, get a fake muffler shell tacked on the outside of your straight pipe ;)