Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cutting holes for rear reading lights?

synoptica

Stripping VK - PM me!
Reaction score
Members Ride
No longer a Commodore
Hey guys,

Sourced me a couple of rear reading lights for the VK, but being a Vacationer it doesn't come with factory holes to mount them in.

So it looks like I'm going to have to cut them myself - something I'm not too keen on doing - so I'm hoping someone's done it before and has an easy way to do it.

Any suggestions, guys?

Cheers,
Chris.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Hi, Guess what I have done this :)

Ok there are 2 metal brackets you need out of the roof of a calais or berlina. This are glued to the turret with a black glue similar to sikaflex and welded onto the framework below.
Once you have the brackets I drilled a small hole in the bodyshell framework and glued the brackets in with sikaflex (make sure you use the primer with it) I used 1 screw to hold it in place while the glue set.

Measurement wise they are different left to right :) Seems to vary as well I guess depending on the person fitting them was having a good day or not. There is a seam in the body up above the rear 1/4 windows I measured 20mm forward and mounted the brackets that way.

Wiring is another issue as the wiring goes up the drivers side C pillar to the first light and above the headlining to the second light. So if your not retrimming your car or taking out the rear screen that wont be happening so you will need to modify or make a wiring harness to go through the boot and up each C pillar.

Unfortunatly I can seem to dig up any pictures of how I mounted brackets etc.

cheers
Scott

synoptica

Stripping VK - PM me!
Reaction score
Members Ride
No longer a Commodore
They're actual brackets? So no cutting required?

Good news is that I am retrimming, and I have the rear window out as we speak - but that needs to go back in over the next few days so I'd like to get the wiring sorted out asap!

How are they wired up? I was expecting wiring similar to the Calais main curtosey light which I believe has the earth switched rather than the +ve line - but there's about 17 wires hanging off the things!

I knew if anyone had done this, it would've been you ;)

Also - like I said I am halfway through retrimming - so I've got the thing glued around the rear screen sill and all the supporting rods in place - but haven't got it cut or glued behind the pinchwelds or down the pillars or anything - but I don't want to take it down because it took a while to get it dead perfect. Given that this is the case, would the installation still be easy given I can still get up behind the headlining above the rear doors (if that made any sense?)

Cheers,
Chris.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
yup just brackets they are originally glued & welded in I just glues mine in with sikaflex, only need to cut them out of the original car.

Ok wiring 3 wired, the socket is down near the rear shocktower inside the boot (3 pin plug all models). the wire runs along the outside the C pillar then goes into the C pillar via 1 of the holes in it to the bracket then from there between the roof & the soundproofing glued to the roof to the other bracket.

When I did mine I did it before I installed the headlining so I had heaps of room and no risk of damage to the headlining. By your desciption you should still be fine.

cheers
Scott

synoptica

Stripping VK - PM me!
Reaction score
Members Ride
No longer a Commodore
Excellent - cheers for the advice dude :)

Got the brackets out today, got a tube of Selley's shockproof superglue stuff - "superior metal bonding" - reckon that'll hold it? Will give both surfaces a good go with the 400 grit or so...

Also - off the topic a bit - do you know why the panel above the front seats is void of insulation/soundproofing? Is there any reason I shouldn't glue in the bit I stole from a donor car?

Cheers,
Chris.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
When I did mine I cut away the sound proofing mat that was glued to the roof glued int he brackets with Sikaflex then put thesound proofing back with slots for thebrackets.

One Tip, I didnt sand as I used the Sikaflex primer but if you do sane make sure you paint the surface after you glue the bracket in so you dont expose a surface for rust.

cheers
Scott

synoptica

Stripping VK - PM me!
Reaction score
Members Ride
No longer a Commodore
Well I got one in - I sanded the surface that glues to the frame, but left the but that sticks to the roof in tact, seems to hold up quite well. Looks fantastic with the new roof lining :)

Found the wiring harness for it too, just have to weed it out the donor car, now.

synoptica

Stripping VK - PM me!
Reaction score
Members Ride
No longer a Commodore
All done - and they're looking brilliant :)

Seems the standard harness doesn't come with a connector for them though - so I'm gonna have to splice some wires in myself it seems - time to dig out the Gregory's diagram!

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
All VKs come with the wiring harness connector its located on the drivers side in the front corner of the boot just below the parcel shelf its a 3 pin plug.

The light harness is only installed with the Berlina & Calais. For a wiring diagram check my site.

cheers
Scott

synoptica

Stripping VK - PM me!
Reaction score
Members Ride
No longer a Commodore
The only connector for it I could find was one for the boot lighting - same plug, opposite gender... I might look a bit harder :)