Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

damaged paint

Force88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
about 18months ago not long after buying my car i parked under a tree overnight where bats obviously were living, and they shat on a few places on my car. not knowing how seriously damaging it was i left it there for a week or so until the next time i washed it, only to my horror that it had eaten away the paint back to bare metal. since then i've been vigilant in taking it off as soon i spotted it on the car. but on the weekend more bat **** has landed on the car and i havent spotted it until today. i wiped it off and it had already started to eat into the clearcoat after only 2 days. in total there are about 6 spots that have been damaged. i am wondering, is there a way that i can fix the paint myself? or will it have to be touched up or at worst, resprayed?

a1k3m1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY II S-Pack 25th Anniversary
if the clear coats gone dude, the paint will fade and eventually fall off, so yeh a respray would be your answer..

bat crap is literally like acid, look it up, they used to make explosives out of it back in the WW2 days lol

Timmos

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
10' VE SSV
Wow i had no idea bat **** did this to paint..

Well from the sounds of things a respray is definantly in order, I'm wondering whether insurance would cover something like this..

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Originally - Eastern Suburbs - Melbourne, Currentl
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
on my old vectra I had birdshit hit one of the doors and eat through paint over night, it turned out it hit the door that had been resprayed before I owned it and the dodgey assholes that fixed it used shifty paint and didnt do it properly, if your paint is getting eaten so easily it may have been due to a shifty paintjob originally

Force88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
its pouring down rain at the moment so i cant really get a picture. the roof is getting surface rust in 2 spots where it has eaten through to the metal to give you an idea. the other places just have cracked clearcoat. as far as i know it hasn't been resprayed, but i bought it second hand so i really wouldn't know. with my insurance having a $1400 excess even if it did cover bat **** bombardment, it probably would be cheaper just to get a respray done without making a claim. i will probably just wait till i sell the car in the future to get it done though. approx how much would it cost to get a closed door black respray job done?

and yeah timmos if you like your car to have paint, get a cover, dont park near bats or check your car every 6 hours for bat ****, cause its nearly as bad as brake fluid haha.

showxpony

Reaction score
Members Ride
Redline SSV
Ones the clears gone, and then the base, a respray is the best option! nothing else will look nice.

VY04Calais

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s2 Supercharged Calais
if its the bonnet then just get it resprayed. if the clear is a little gayed up then you can buff it next to new most times. if it has started to **** up the base coat underneath buffing it. by heating the panel when buffing it actually allows the base coat to resettle under the clear. dont do this yourself unless you know what your doing.... buffing is not the easiest of jobs to DIY