Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Damn I want a Bumblebee!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
car cost in the states
import duties: %7
customs agent fees (approx) 500
GST %10
shipping (approx) $3k
COMPLIANCE $35k
stamp duty %4
registration 700

luxury car tax is only if the car is valued over $70k: if so its 10%

THE LCT THRESHOLD
The LCT thresholds for the 2011–12 financial year are:
n $57,466, which is equal to the car limit
n $75,375 for fuel-efficient cars.

Rufys

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Calais Sportwagon
i think that its actually YOU who are missing the point.

boats are not free
labour is not free
electricity is not free

every little extra cost add up. you think if holden had them they would sell for less that they are currently selling for? hell no! holden would rinse that sponge for every drop it had. so instead this thread would be a bitch about holden ripping us off, rather than us importers

at the end of the day its basically this: "i cant afford a camaro and i am not happy about it"

the answer would be to get a better job.

LMAO!!! You REALLY don't get it... This was a COST COMPARISON ONLY!!! It has absolutely NOTHING to do with importers or any other of the (sometimes justified) other costs.

And for the record, there is a MASSIVE difference to being able to afford something, and being able to justify the cost. Paying $130,00 for something worth less than $40,000 is completely un-justified, hence I won't do it. It certainly doesn't mean I can't afford it. But you know what, assume all you like cause you're great entertainment value. :D And I certainly don't need a better job. :D

I actually get your point completely. It is sad that they cost so much here, even though a lot of the costs can be justified. I guess in the end it comes down to how passionate the individual is about the car, and if someone wants to pay $130k to drive something a little different, because in reality, it's NOT a $130k car.

There you go... Someone with some comprehension skills. :D Well said.

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
So he knows about imports? Wow! Good on him. That's awesome! He's a hero! Too bad my OP has NOTHING to do with imports. Just a basic price comparison and the fact that there's roughly a $100,000 premium in Australia for Camaros. Considering they were designed, engineered and developed by Holden in Australia. It's sad!

The part that introduces the "premium" is the fact they are built overseas under the chevrolet branch of GM and imported back here to be sold. That means they need to be converted to RHD, which is why everyone has been referring to that fact.

In the USA: $35,000

In Australia: $130,000

Sad sad situation.............

And next time when your trying to make a point about it being sad that it was designed and engineered by Holden were in Aus and being sold dearer here.

Just say it in your first post. Makes life easier when you say it and not expect everyone to automatically be on the same wave length.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
This thread is a sad sad situation...

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Can you read? Camaros are manufactured in RHD now. There is no reason to ad the cost of RHD conversion. The import costs and import taxes are the killers.

Before you use theI know everything tone with me, read below.

you are a retard.

each RAW (registered automotive workshop) has to go through a lengthy process of having their first car audited and the work proceedures undertaken to do it. camaro's in the UK are not EU standards because they will be modified by workshops similarly to the australian RAWs system. which means we cant use EU or UK origin as an official standard.

if you can find me all the bits from the UK to swap one over to RHD for less that 20 grand delivered i would like 3 kits please. i have a camaro on the water as i type this, hoping to be landed by late march, added to my schedule next year sometime. the cheapest conversion package is easily a company here in australia and its a cool 17 grand. add on top of that the wiring, solder, tape, welding wire, gas, electricity, and least of all my precious time.

you CANNOT BRING A CAR INTO AUSTRALIA FROM THE UK THAT IS ALREADY RHD. it needs to be converted here in australia, by the RAW and by using that RAW evidence package and work instructions which have been thoroughly assed by DOTARS and conform to the vehicle standards bulletin 4.

all the crap we have to go through to bring these cars in is why you pay so much.

car cost in the states
import duties: %7
customs agent fees (approx) 500
GST %10
shipping (approx) $3k
COMPLIANCE $35k
stamp duty %4
registration 700

luxury car tax is only if the car is valued over $70k: if so its 10%

So he knows about imports? Wow! Good on him. That's awesome! He's a hero! Too bad my OP has NOTHING to do with imports. Just a basic price comparison and the fact that there's roughly a $100,000 premium in Australia for Camaros. Considering they were designed, engineered and developed by Holden in Australia. It's sad!

LMAO!!! You REALLY don't get it... This was a COST COMPARISON ONLY!!! It has absolutely NOTHING to do with importers or any other of the (sometimes justified) other costs.

And for the record, there is a MASSIVE difference to being able to afford something, and being able to justify the cost. Paying $130,00 for something worth less than $40,000 is completely un-justified, hence I won't do it. It certainly doesn't mean I can't afford it. But you know what, assume all you like cause you're great entertainment value. :D And I certainly don't need a better job. :D

No you are correct, your OP was about a price comparison, to which you were basically complaining about the price difference.

What myself and a few other people who you have decided to have a go at have been trying to explain is the reason why there is a price difference. Unfortunately, so long as it's not a mainstream locally sold car, you will be forced to pay these prices. That is the way of life, supply meets demand, and when there is little demand, there is little supply and thus little reason to invest in infrastructure to make the price of the car realistic to the AUS market.

You are too quick off the mark to jump down people's throats Rufys, maybe try a decafe in the morning and try and put a link between what you originally said and what other people are saying.

SilverVH

Banned
Reaction score
Rufys said:
*sigh* I give up ... too many people simply can't comprehend the (really basic) point I was making.

We get the point just fine, you're a whinger and a sook. Was there anything else we missed?

blueVP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP, VL walkinshaw replica
A family friend had a 70's model trans am imported and converted, dunno the cost but it was a dogy job.
The fire wall was weak and the chassis was twisting. He's an engineer so he reinforced it all him self, did twice as good a job for half the price.

Rufys

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Calais Sportwagon
You can't afford one, Harden up princess.

Actually I can (you obviously didn't read the thread properlyeither)... It's just not a justifiable cost for a sub $40,000 car.

SilverVH

Banned
Reaction score
sub $40,000 car?

Lol...wut??? You are living in Australia aren't you?

Show me where you can buy one in AUSTRALIA for $40,000...

I think you need an understanding on the way the Government protects domestic industry on foreign imports and not to mention you need a "reality check".

You can buy a can of coke in India for 20 cents.

Does that mean coke here should be 20 cents aswell. :blah blah:

Status
Not open for further replies.