Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dash has been going nuts

Chefk

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz ss 2004
Hey guys, my while I’m driving most of the time everything on my dash goes off and faults come up and radio goes off as well but car is still running attached pics and even tho I tried resetting the service fault it still comes up most of the time when the dash goes off while I’m driving( I had just serviced the car)(it was doing that before I serviced it)

Attachments

• 0E3E4AC2-E5F3-4B28-BE6C-0704369D3C7E.jpeg
    0E3E4AC2-E5F3-4B28-BE6C-0704369D3C7E.jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 3C2DF714-4B34-456E-B06E-00FE6E285EED.jpeg
    3C2DF714-4B34-456E-B06E-00FE6E285EED.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 113
  • E83F34FF-0702-488A-8CA4-6C79709B7BCE.jpeg
    E83F34FF-0702-488A-8CA4-6C79709B7BCE.jpeg
    382.3 KB · Views: 116
  • 3D16DADD-EA9C-46EB-AAF1-7C41E09A7869.jpeg
    3D16DADD-EA9C-46EB-AAF1-7C41E09A7869.jpeg
    201.2 KB · Views: 104

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
A faulty ABS module was a major cause of this in VT-VX (I had a WH that did it as well). Not sure if VZ is impacted, but worth considering.

Last edited:

Chefk

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz ss 2004
Thanks mate will change the abs module see if it help

Doc59

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Monaro
Fixed pretty much the same problem in my Monaro a few months ago. First time it happened was probably mid last year at night, dash lights went out and warning tones started going off, car kept driving fine. Naturally I couldn't see the fault indication but was close to home so kept driving. Got home, shutdown and restarted and all good again. Problem kept recurring over the next few months and google searches and forums pretty much gave me the same answer, ABS module or sensors. I eventually noticed my volt meter showing unusual indications. I had initially discounted my alternator as it had been rebuiilt approx 1 year ago, including a new regulator due to not charging on startup intermittently. Paying more attention to my volt meter showed that usually I would have a charging problem before getting the dash failures/ warnings. Saw the voltage meter spike to 16 odd volts once and several times had to keep driving with it reading no charge. Car never went into limp home mode and I didn't get the "Reduced Performance" or "Safetry Mode" faults, Had the other faults same as yours and also speedo and tacho needles drop to zero. Instrument lights also stayed off the one time I had it at night.

Long story short, I bought a NOS genuine alternator off ebay and haven't had a problem since. I think the computers in the car are very voltage sensitive and as soon as the battery drops below a certain voltage then a computer has a hissy fit and throws up all sorts of faults. Thinking my rebuilt alternator got a faulty regulator but it's back at thr rebuilders now to check and fix so I have a spare.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
As above ^^^^ simple Alternator Fault can upset the ECU if the Charge Voltage is out of range.

The other thing that may help,
would be to get is scanned to see/check if there is any current or historic DTC's that may assist with locating the fault/error.

Chefk

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz ss 2004
Yeah I should get it checked out see what’s the voltage on my alternator. As the reduced power and safety mode faults came up once but the other faulty modes has been coming up every time I drive it. Will look into the alternator maybe that’s my case. Cheers mate

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah I should get it checked out see what’s the voltage on my alternator. As the reduced power and safety mode faults came up once but the other faulty modes has been coming up every time I drive it. Will look into the alternator maybe that’s my case. Cheers mate

if you can get hold of a multimeter. Check the voltage at the Battery terminals while idling, and see if it increases when you give it a rev,
Idling should be approx 13.4v
By giving it a rev should be approx 14.4v.
If it’s in that range, it should be ok,
But there still could be a intermittent fault in the regulator.

If it’s more than 14.8+v,
the ECU and BCM may have hissy fits.

Doc59

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Monaro
Mine was pretty intermittent. Quick check with a multimeter would have shown it as fine unless you lucked on a fail time. Without a standard voltmeter, wiring one temporarily so you can keep an eye on it while driving might be best. One other hint with the Monaro though was when my alternator is charging it makes a high pith whine, when not charging it was quiet. Can only hear it when stopped though. Think it must be normal, both my alternators make the noise and I've heard the same on youtube videos.

Doc59

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Monaro
Someone elses video on youtube, you can just hear the whine over the exhaust, mine has stock exhaust.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mine was pretty intermittent. Quick check with a multimeter would have shown it as fine unless you lucked on a fail time. Without a standard voltmeter, wiring one temporarily so you can keep an eye on it while driving might be best. One other hint with the Monaro though was when my alternator is charging it makes a high pith whine, when not charging it was quiet. Can only hear it when stopped though. Think it must be normal, both my alternators make the noise and I've heard the same on youtube videos.

What you could do is to is get hold of a cigarette light plug and place a couple of wires in it, approx 2 meters, wire it to a twin connector block, and temporary connect a digital Multimeter,
and then plug in to your power outlet [assuming you have one in your Console]

As for the alternator whine, haven't heard them on VT's > VZ's
But have on the Early VE's,
that Monaro Whine doesn't sound right, sounds bit like a bearing
If you can get hold of a Mechanics Stethoscope, listen to the Bearings at both ends of the Alternator,
if they are noisy, you should able to hear the whine.

On the other hand, if you could get hold of a Tech2 or a Alternative unit, and look at the live Data at the ECU and/or BCM,
that will probably explain why the dash has a hissy fit.

Last edited: