Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dashcam hardwire issue

leighXcore

Reaction score
Members Ride
2018 RS-V Sportswagon
Hey there Forum,
I got my Zenfox T3 (3 Channel) dashcam hardwired to my RS-V recently with the Zenfox hardwiring kit and noticed that the dashcam wouldn't go into Parking Mode when I turned the ignition off

I took it back to iilumo (the company that did the hardwiring for me) and I was told that the fuse for the constant power wasn't a high enough voltage to get the camera to run in parking mode

I have zero issues with the dashcam running when I'm driving around and the footage is perfect

Is there something I'm missing here?

Thanks

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
i think what they are attempting to say is that the module they use for parking mode requires a higher voltage than what is being supplied by the battery rail while the vehicle is switched off.

this seems like a configuration issue to be honest.
a quick lookup of the zenfox hardwire kit(assuming this is what they used).

the cut off voltages are: 11.8v, 12.0v, 23.6v, 24.0v.

your vehicle should provide more than 11.8v after being switched off so it seems that they might have the cutoff voltage setting set wrong or they have wired it up wrong.

EDIT: my zb has been in my workshop on the hoist for over a week now waiting for parts and i just tested the battery voltage and it is 12.61v which is well above the 11.8v and 12.0v needed for the zenfox hard wire kit.
they probably have it set on 23.6 or 24.0v.

Last edited:

leighXcore

Reaction score
Members Ride
2018 RS-V Sportswagon
Thanks for the quick reply Stooge

i think what they are attempting to say is that the module they use for parking mode requires a higher voltage than what is being supplied by the battery rail while the vehicle is switched off.

this seems like a configuration issue to be honest.
a quick lookup of the zenfox hardwire kit(assuming this is what they used).

the cut off voltages are: 11.8v, 12.0v, 23.6v, 24.0v.

your vehicle should provide more than 11.8v after being switched off so it seems that they might have the cutoff voltage setting set wrong or they have wired it up wrong.

That is the exactly hardwire kit I bought and took to them, so that is correct
I even showed them the diagram on that URL which colour wires are meant to be connected too (When it comes to doing that myself, I'm clueless)

Should I play around with the cut-off voltages and see if it works?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Should I play around with the cut-off voltages and see if it works?

i couldnt see any documentation for setting the cutoff voltage but i would suspect it has dip switches like my power magic pro that does the same thing.
if you can see a way to set it at 12v or 11.8 then change it to that, i would start with 12v first and see how you go and if that is not good enough then try 11.8.

leighXcore

Reaction score
Members Ride
2018 RS-V Sportswagon
i couldnt see any documentation for setting the cutoff voltage but i would suspect it has dip switches like my power magic pro that does the same thing.
if you can see a way to set it at 12v or 11.8 then change it to that, i would start with 12v first and see how you go and if that is not good enough then try 11.8.
There is a switch attached to the hardwire kit that I can set either 11.8v or 12v

leighXcore

Reaction score
Members Ride
2018 RS-V Sportswagon
I just had a look at the switches on your power magic pro and mine is not the same as that, the switch on the zenfox hardwire kit is either set left or right

Tried switching the cut-off voltage switch to the two settings, neither off them for my dashcam to start up in Parking mode

I'm not the most car-savvy guy, so I'm not sure how to rectify the problem, maybe an external battery?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Looking at a youtube video the switch on the side selects 11.8 or 12 but also can select 24 or 23.6

This means that the module detects the input voltage and then applies the correct cut off for 12 or 24 volt.

Your vehicle will provide alot more than 11.8 volts while parked and if the module is not working when you set it to 11.8 then the module they have sold you is defective or it has been installed wrong.
If the modules yellow and red wires are not installed the right way(battery / ignition) then the module will not work when you park the vehicle.

If the wiring is correct then i would suspect that the module is faulty and needs to be replaced.

Screenshot_20220901-210627_Samsung Internet.jpg

leighXcore

Reaction score
Members Ride
2018 RS-V Sportswagon
Looking at a youtube video the switch on the side selects 11.8 or 12 but also can select 24 or 23.6

This means that the module detects the input voltage and then applies the correct cut off for 12 or 24 volt.

Your vehicle will provide alot more than 11.8 volts while parked and if the module is not working when you set it to 11.8 then the module they have sold you is defective or it has been installed wrong.
If the modules yellow and red wires are not installed the right way(battery / ignition) then the module will not work when you park the vehicle.

If the wiring is correct then i would suspect that the module is faulty and needs to be replaced.

View attachment 241861

Thanks again stooge, I'll look into it a little deeper!
Much appreciated

leighXcore

Reaction score
Members Ride
2018 RS-V Sportswagon
I had a quick look at what fuse slot the fuse tap was plugged into this morning and matched it up with the car manual

I'm certain it's tapped into either fuse 23 or 24

Attachments

• f90b6564df4fb0a8b2ad97c294576057.png
    f90b6564df4fb0a8b2ad97c294576057.png
    268.5 KB · Views: 112

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
there should be 2 fuse taps.
one for constant power(BATTERY) = red wire from your dash cam module.
one for ignition switched power(ACC) = yellow wire from your dash cam module.

fuses...
23 = steering wheel lock
24 = airbag
are not what you want to tap into, one should never tap into a fuse for a safety system especially the airbags.

for ACC(yellow wire) i would tap into 35 = AUX/USB or 36 = Wireless Charger, these should be ignition switched fuses.

for BATTERY(red wire) i would probe slots 14, 29, 30, 38 as they appear to be unused, the rail is normally still present in an unused fuse slot and with any luck one of them remains powered while the vehicle is switched off.
28 = Police Provision should also be unused.