Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dashcam hardwire issue

wildfiremaint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS , 2007 Subaru LIBERTY Wagon
So what is the actual voltage at either of those fuses when the car is switched off ?
I would not expect that the airbag or
electric power steer would
be live when the car is parked.

Last edited:

leighXcore

Reaction score
Members Ride
2018 RS-V Sportswagon
there should be 2 fuse taps.
one for constant power(BATTERY) = red wire from your dash cam module.
one for ignition switched power(ACC) = yellow wire from your dash cam module.

fuses...
23 = steering wheel lock
24 = airbag
are not what you want to tap into, one should never tap into a fuse for a safety system especially the airbags.

for ACC(yellow wire) i would tap into 35 = AUX/USB or 36 = Wireless Charger, these should be ignition switched fuses.

for BATTERY(red wire) i would probe slots 14, 29, 30, 38 as they appear to be unused, the rail is normally still present in an unused fuse slot and with any luck one of them remains powered while the vehicle is switched off.
28 = Police Provision should also be unused.

I believe the Yellow/ACC wire is tapped into the after market interior lighting I also had installed by the same company, as the dashcam starts up properly when I start the ignition

I figured the issue was the dashcam not having power once the car ignition was off and decided to check the fuses this morning and match them up in the manual diagram

As you can see in the photos, it's definitely been tapped into the Airbags, so I'll definitely be taking it back to get tapped in to the correct fuse

Thanks a ton for your help stooge, hugely appreciated

Attachments

• b946f7aa7005033d68081ab40f1407c8.jpg
    b946f7aa7005033d68081ab40f1407c8.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 119
  • 20220902_180347.jpg
    20220902_180347.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 113
  • 20220902_180354.jpg
    20220902_180354.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 127
  • 20220902_183506.jpg
    20220902_183506.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 121
Reactions: Lex

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
yeah the red wire should be on a fuse that has power when the vehicle is switched off.

that red lighting is pretty wild too :D

leighXcore

Reaction score
Members Ride
2018 RS-V Sportswagon
yeah the red wire should be on a fuse that has power when the vehicle is switched off.

that red lighting is pretty wild too :D
Guess I'll be taking it back to the shop sometime next week then!

Thank again for all the small bits of information and help, much appreciated

Check out the start-up animation - https://streamable.com/9xiuie
and a different animation here - https://streamable.com/vtmjp6

I just drive around with the solid red on though, give's it a nice pop :)

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca

leighXcore

Reaction score
Members Ride
2018 RS-V Sportswagon
:D
my wife just watched that and lost her mind lol, looks pretty cool
Look I can't fault iilumo for the interior lighting they installed, it's worked flawlessly!
But they obviously don't know how to hardwire a dashcam correctly lol

leighXcore

Reaction score
Members Ride
2018 RS-V Sportswagon
Hey all,

I just got off the phone to the technician that hardwired my dashcam and also checked out again last week
I was wondering if anyone can give confirmation/clarification about what he said over the phone to me

I brought it to his attention that the fuse (24) they have tapped into is for the Airbags and the tech said that he "checked the voltage of the fuse when the ignition is off" and stated that "it gives constant power but drops from 12.3v down to 11.3v slowly"

1) Is this normal for an airbag fuse to do?

The tech also stated that "it could be due to the battery being old and not holding charge" and suggested that I could try giving it a charge over night to see if that fixes the problem

2) Could this be a factor that causes the dashcam to not have enough power?

I'm taking it back to them tomorrow to get the fuse-tap changed out from the Airbag fuse as @stooge and a work colleague of mine (who built his ford falcon from bare bones) have told me that it's not a good idea to tap power from and safety fuses

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Hey all,

I just got off the phone to the technician that hardwired my dashcam and also checked out again last week
I was wondering if anyone can give confirmation/clarification about what he said over the phone to me

I brought it to his attention that the fuse (24) they have tapped into is for the Airbags and the tech said that he "checked the voltage of the fuse when the ignition is off" and stated that "it gives constant power but drops from 12.3v down to 11.3v slowly"

1) Is this normal for an airbag fuse to do?

The tech also stated that "it could be due to the battery being old and not holding charge" and suggested that I could try giving it a charge over night to see if that fixes the problem

2) Could this be a factor that causes the dashcam to not have enough power?

I'm taking it back to them tomorrow to get the fuse-tap changed out from the Airbag fuse as @stooge and a work colleague of mine (who built his ford falcon from bare bones) have told me that it's not a good idea to tap power from and safety fuses

the fuse does not matter when it comes to voltage, the power rail for the airbag fuse is the same rail used for all of the other fuses that are BAT or IGN.

the issue with the airbag fuse is they should not be using it period!
adding a fuse tap is essentially adding a wire that could be accidentally pulled and a secondary circuit for the airbag module to receive power.
by doing it they are just adding more points of failure and it is just plain stupidity to tap into that fuse while there will be many others that are on the same rail but are not a part of a safety system.

the battery could be dropping below 11.8 which is the cutoff for that hardwire kit, without a voltage tester it is hard to tell but i would expect the cam to run for a short amount of time(10 minutes) if that was happening and you would be able to see that in the recordings after you exit the vehicle.

if that is the case and the battery is dead i would get it tested before you buy a new one because the zb has an agm battery which is quite large and durable so for it to be losing power that quickly i find it strange.
i am a bit skeptical of his excuse because he wouldnt have probed the fuse for very long, he would have tested for constant voltage and tapped into it and i dont even think he looked at what the fuse was for which is maybe why it is in an airbag fuse?.

something with the zb is when you are testing for constant voltage and you turn the ignition off you need to open the drivers door because some systems remain active until it detects the drivers door opening so certain fuses will remain powered until the door is opened when you turn the ignition off.
if the drivers door is open when you turn the ignition off you need to close and open it to trigger the shutdown event.

leighXcore

Reaction score
Members Ride
2018 RS-V Sportswagon
the issue with the airbag fuse is they should not be using it period!
adding a fuse tap is essentially adding a wire that could be accidentally pulled and a secondary circuit for the airbag module to receive power.
by doing it they are just adding more points of failure and it is just plain stupidity to tap into that fuse while there will be many others that are on the same rail but are not a part of a safety system.
I've heard it enough now for it to make me uncomfortable knowing that info Haha
Which is why I asked to bring it back to them tomorrow to change fuse slots

the battery could be dropping below 11.8 which is the cutoff for that hardwire kit, without a voltage tester it is hard to tell but i would expect the cam to run for a short amount of time(10 minutes) if that was happening and you would be able to see that in the recordings after you exit the vehicle.

if that is the case and the battery is dead i would get it tested before you buy a new one because the zb has an agm battery which is quite large and durable so for it to be losing power that quickly i find it strange.
i am a bit skeptical of his excuse because he wouldnt have probed the fuse for very long, he would have tested for constant voltage and tapped into it and i dont even think he looked at what the fuse was for which is maybe why it is in an airbag fuse?.

something with the zb is when you are testing for constant voltage and you turn the ignition off you need to open the drivers door because some systems remain active until it detects the drivers door opening so certain fuses will remain powered until the door is opened when you turn the ignition off.
if the drivers door is open when you turn the ignition off you need to close and open it to trigger the shutdown event.
No, the dashcam turns off around 10-15 seconds (quite consistently) after the ignition is turned off, even before the door is opened, so there is no footage of me getting out of the car and walking away

I am going to eliminate the reason for an incorrectly (and potentially dangerous) tapped fuse before I look into getting the battery tested

I will also make sure to mention the door shutdown system as well, I may even just stay there while they look at it

Thanks again for the hasty reply stooge!