Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Days of the week to get your vehicle service done.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I just assumed it would all be essentially the same part and the software package in the vehicle defines what gets projected - eg things like satnav instructions and collision alerts.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I just assumed it would all be essentially the same part and the software package in the vehicle defines what gets projected - eg things like satnav instructions and collision alerts.
With a part number change, I’d expect some hardware change to have been made unless it’s a GM ignition lock :p

So, if the HUD module is programable, it‘s the software modules that get loaded that have their own part numbers. Such part software module part numbers are tied to the vehicle VIN within GMs database (for such things) and as such it’s the act of programming the hardware that defines the feature set. If a bit of hardware is not (GDS2) programable and the program is inbuilt at manufacture, then I’d expect that would relate to a different part number which defines the feature set :)

As to HUD hardware specifics, how the hardware and software is designed, I don’t know but I remember reading they went from monochrome HUD to colour HUD at come stage (though can’t remember when). Having a list of part numbers and which are interchangeable would be interesting.

As a side, in the world of PC’s, hardware wise, a monochrome monitor can’t display colour even though the graphics hardware and software can send out colour graphics data… Likewise a colour monitor can’t display colour if the graphics hardware is monochrome or the software is set to display only in monochrome graphics data… The question is what capabilities does the various pHUD part numbers provide?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah i get mono and colour, i'm not that dense. but as someone with a redline mine is already colour - @RevNev said and I quote.

I fitted a Calais HUD with better graphics so a bit of an improvement for the effort it took!

and he's by the look of it sitting in a Series II Redline. Something you'd imagine would already have whatever the best HUD is.

We're just wondering - what "better graphics"?

The model numbers could mean anything, be nice to get a definitive answer, is it brighter, is it slightly higher resolution? etc etc. The car graphic mentioned by someone is more likely to be a SW update imo.

How do you know the HUD is programmable? I personally assumed it's a display only and you just feel it whatever you want to display like a screen.

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
The graphic difference with the 92289167 (Calais/HSV) module I fitted is the collision warning data shows pictures of a VF Commodore not a generic shape resembling a car.
Which collision warning data, do you have a screen-shot from somewhere?
I was going to say my only recollection in the SSVR was for a 60's Batman style ("BAM!", "KABOOSH!") big red 'splat' looking symbol, but I think in hindsight that's the in-dash screen between the speedo & tacho binnacles.
Same with the parking sensor warnings, they're all in the screen between speedo & tacho (I think).
All the traffic-distance warnings in the HUD (the green or orange or red symbol) are a rear-on view of a generic car (as I guess it's supposed to represent the vehicle in front) ... I don't think a rear-view of a Commodore would necessarily look any different to a generic icon rear view, in an image that size?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
I was going to say my only recollection in the SSVR was for a 60's Batman style ("BAM!", "KABOOSH!") big red 'splat' looking symbol, but I think in hindsight that's the in-dash screen between the speedo & tacho binnacles.
Same with the parking sensor warnings, they're all in the screen between speedo & tacho (I think).
All the traffic-distance warnings in the HUD (the green or orange or red symbol) are a rear-on view of a generic car (as I guess it's supposed to represent the vehicle in front) ... I don't think a rear-view of a Commodore would necessarily look any different to a generic icon rear view, in an image that size?

i think he means the distance alert settings not the splat.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual

61bp3GUk2qL.jpg

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Haven’t got a screen shot but the VF1 CalaisV which I’ve driven from time to time has, from memory, a couple of blue lightning flash symbols with vehicle outline depicted in the HUD when the collision alert goes off...that’s when I forget to turn the alert off when I get into it. Like most members of the family that drive it, the alert gets turned off as it can frighten the cr@p out of you by going off unexpectedly when you’re already alert to a slight deviation in the road eg temporary road works.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Haven’t got a screen shot but the VF1 CalaisV which I’ve driven from time to time has, from memory, a couple of blue lightning flash symbols with vehicle outline depicted in the HUD when the collision alert goes off...that’s when I forget to turn the alert off when I get into it. Like most members of the family that drive it, the alert gets turned off as it can frighten the cr@p out of you by going off unexpectedly when you’re already alert to a slight deviation in the road eg temporary road works.
My VF1 Calais didn't display any different than the redline and Director I have from 2017.

All I get was the big red solid with two car outlines cutout ready to hit each other. A bit like the batman graphics mention above. SPLAT!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
yeah i get mono and colour, i'm not that dense.
Didn’t mean to imply you were dense in any way. And I didn’t intend my post to come across that way :oops: Sorry for any distress my comments may have caused :p

I just wanted to add, as a general comment, that we had monochrome and colour HUDs and it’s not at all clear (to me) when such change occurred (let alone when any differences in character sets, crash icon warnings and such occurred)… And I wanted to highlight that I‘d thought any changes in part number would more than likely relate to different physical hardware characteristics. Something more in line with vibration damping improvements, cost savings and such rather than some better resolution which would have been plastered all over the sales brochures (which I don’t remember being the case other than colour being mentioned)… Cheap is mostly the Holden way after all :p:p:p Guess I failed :p

The model numbers could mean anything, be nice to get a definitive answer, is it brighter, is it slightly higher resolution? etc etc. The car graphic mentioned by someone is more likely to be a SW update imo.
I‘m also curious about better graphics but that may not always relate to better hardware resolution (as the hardware may not have been fully utilised in the first instance). It’s anyone’s guess what and how Holden did it…

As a side comment, me, I’d rather have better reverse camera resolution that better HUD resolution as I don’t look at the HUD in the same way as I look at MyLink when reversing :p
How do you know the HUD is programmable? I personally assumed it's a display only and you just feel it whatever you want to display like a screen.
I don’t, which is why it was a conditional statement to highlight that I expected the HUD part number wouldn’t be related to the software feature set (text, graphics, whats actually displayed, etc) that we see. Such feature sets I’d guess would be programmed into MyLink and/or cluster, etc (which just use the HUD display as you say). So a guess that the HUD part numbers are hardware specific, vibration, cost saving and such updates…

As a disclosure, I get the big red square almost always when I drive down a curved road and cars are parks in places… Pity the graphics can’t be modded to be dark green brocke glass look as in the old raster based arcade game BattleZone :D