Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

dead vk

VKStevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
i think its revving 2 high cold, so ill have 2 get that adjusted, its going at almost 1500 varying a bit of course

VKStevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
and yes i forgot 2 say there is oil in the "barge" not 100% full but not anywhere near the low either

but where is the oil pressure switch?

VKStevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
well she started well 2day so i thought i would take her around the block seing she was running, and if i had any problems i'd try some things ive been told 2 do 2 fix it, but around the 2nd corner...well lets say now she's officially dead, died on the corner, just had enough momentum to get around the corner and pull up on the side of the road. now she wont even look like starting so i cant try to do nething to fix it, anyways ive called the raa so theyre on their way which mean i will have 2 sit in my car and wait for them, unfortunately its just too far out of wireless service so i cant use the internet while im waiting. my mechanic just said 2 bring her in when i can get her there

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Timing/Carby/Choke get her to the mechanic mate somehow :thumbsup:

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
VKStevo said:
and yes i forgot 2 say there is oil in the "barge" not 100% full but not anywhere near the low either

but where is the oil pressure switch?

The oil pressure switch is mounted on the oil pump which is next to your distributor. It will have a single wire with a spade type connector on it. I don't think it's an oil pressure problem from what you are saying.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Hmmm. The idle speed should peak up to around 1000-1400 when cold and it settles down after about 2-3 minutes and idles at around 800 and about 650 in drive, but yours is a manual so there is no drive. :)
On the carb there is a cam which has steps and is adjusted by using a screw driver. Don't bother touching it unless the idle is way too high when cold starting.

I am just trying to think of things to check. Get some Inox or RP7 or WD40 and spray some in the spark plug-plugs, take off the distributor cap and spray a little around in there, put the cap back on and then take each plug off the cap and spray a little in the plugs and put them back on.

Another thing you can do for me is remove the air cleaner lid and filter. Yep, do it! Put down the bonnet lid and go for another drive. Don't worry, it will be fine as long as you won't be driving through a dusty desert. See if that does anything. Maybe go to the mechanics or call the RAA out and get them to use their timing gun and ask them to check it when idle. The timing should be set at 6 degrees before top dead centre. 6°BTDC.

Try that.

nizmovk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK wagon
have you checked how tight the distribuor is on the motor? if it can move it'll upset all the advance/retard... I know from experience and it had me stumped once till I thought I'd check the timing and hadn't tightened it up at all...

nizmovk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK wagon
or like slim said , check the air cleaner.. too dirty and no air can get in..

VKStevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
well she's all fixed now, raa did the job...and guess wot...u r all wrong, hahaha kidding, thanks for all your reply's but guess wot the problem was

it was just the coil/distributor wotever its called, the wire earthing out on the heater hose...move it out the way and the problems all fixed

had me stumped for almost a whole day

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Hehehe. Get this. I had a similar problem a while ago with my barge. My coil didn't have a supression capacitor on it so I thought I'd add one. Then I drove my car around and it kept on dying. I couldn't figure it out until one day I looked at the terminal for the capacitor I added and the terminal had worn away with bonnet rub and was dead shorting to the bonnet (earth). In the end I remounted my coil lower and it was fine. TIP: make sure the coil wires are clear from any earth rubbing. :D