Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Deep Pan & Wide Mouth V8 A6

mike_nofx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportswagon
That other bloke went mad, had to shoot him :confused: (ixnay on la hombré - less said the better).
I wouldn’t pay more than $100 for it, but versus say spend on brake rotors or fancy pad compound this thing guards against damage to $5000 component. Only done every 50-60k km.
Yeah anything HSV is priced to make a Holden owner chuckle :p
Any thoughts on if the Colorado one is the right part?

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON

mike_nofx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportswagon
Finally went ahead and ordered the B&M trans pan. Will see how it goes!

mike_nofx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportswagon
Fitted up the B&M pan today, all went reasonably smoothly.

Cost a total of $568.23, Thats:
$384.95 For the B&M Pan
$36.55 for the deeper wide mouth filter with rubber gasket
$146.73 For 3 x 4L bottles of AC Delco Dexron VI from Holden

The only very minor issues I had were that it was a little harder to pump the oil into the new pan because the fill hole is recessed. I just had to bend the metal fill tube on my Tom Thumb hand pump.
The new pan, annoyingly, still had aluminium swarf left inside which i had to clean out, was trapped between the fins. I also disliked that you had to use thread tape on the drain plug and temp sender bung. But having a sump plug is worth it.

Also, changing the little seal for the trans filter is difficult, i scratched the surface it mates to and had to carefully rub it smooth again with some fine emery.

Removed around 4.2L of fluid from the original pan, and filled approx 7.75L with the new pan. A decent increase in capacity. Yes the pan sits lower, and is the lowest point under the car where it is located, so a high speed hump or similar would contact the pan before the chassis rails. For this reason I am considering making up something to prevent this from happening, will report back!

Would post pics, but thanks to photobucket blocking links I'm unsure how to do this now.

mike_nofx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportswagon
Unfortunately I am already having second thoughts. This thing seems to just sit way too low, I'm worried a decent hump in the road or a driveway is going to take it out. Think I may have to go the stock Camaro pan after all.

At its lowest point its roughly 85mm from the ground, on a stock SS wagon, actually the rear end is slightly higher than stock.

IMG_6371.JPG IMG_6372.JPG

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
The cast one with fins I was talking about was definitely not B&M rather PML part number 11087.
It is just a bit deeper than the GM Camaro Pan:
11087_cf_stock_dims_lg.jpg

Seems B&M is about same depth as one pictured in the middle?
11025_11087_stock_lg.jpg

The GM pan on the left above and middle below is actually what we call deep pan (Camaro)
11025_11087_cf_stock_dims_lg.jpg

Stock SS pan vs Camaro:
t5r7uf.jpg

rmmzxs.jpg

You can see where the deep pan steps down for additional fluid capacity but does not go all the way back.

mike_nofx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportswagon
Well I have a Camaro pan on the way. Actually... I have 3 on the way.

I plan to sell off the other 2 pans (with filters and gaskets) to recoup some costs. I’ll sell them cheap, but enough to make it worthwhile for me. And certainly much cheaper than locally available options.

I’ll also likely put the B&M up for sale too. I liked the idea of it, but I’m too paranoid, especially for the driving I do.

mike_nofx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportswagon
This is the B&M next to the stock SS Pan. the B&M has no taper at all

IMG_6354.JPG

mike_nofx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportswagon
4C530EC8-8203-41F6-93E9-8824B01C192F.jpeg

For those interested, standard VE SS pan on left, B&M in the middle, and Camaro on the right.

If anyone is interested in a Camaro pan, plus wide mouth filter and gaskets feel free to contact me for a forum member discount.

Also, I have a barely used, as new, B&M pan. Better suited to a car that doesn’t frequent speed humps though!