Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

defected ride height

VNmick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN executive Manual
ok thanx guys ill probly jus put some kings superlows all round on it

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
I read in a post on here somewhere that nolathane make thicker spring end rubbers. If you can get some the right amount thicker than what you have you may be able to raise the car 10-15mm & leave the springs that you have in.

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
5sp VN Executive1988, VX SS 6sp
I hope i never get defected. I would hate to have my car any higher. i have ultras in the rear and i wouldnt want it any higher. infact i wouldnt mind being a bit lower. I have tried super lows in my car and i wasnt happy at all with the height.

CSL

Reaction score
Members Ride
missus (in more ways than one)
What the hell man... That advice is the opposite of what he actually needs.

Ultralows on the front are Legal! I have Lovells Ultralows at the front, King Spring Superlows at the rear.

Legally in SA atleast the eye heights are 330mm for the front, 305mm at the rear.

Just throw some superlows in the rear and you should be fine.

because the vn backs sit higher then the front , ultra's on back supers on front is a popular ombination,
i have dobinson(whiteline) superlows all round and the car aint dumped, i's lowered but now real low

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
you sure you got lovells ultras?

coz i been looking at their catalogue coz i need a set of springs n the lowest they got is supers. :unsure:

you can download the 2006 catalogue off their website.

yea i couldnt find it in their catalogue anywhere, why do they never put in ultra :(

so you're saying they make em, they just don't list em?

They are called 'Extra Super Lows' or something. They are not called Ultralow but they are the equivalent to an Ultralow, the step below Superlows...

They are available OFF THE SHELF from VS onwards. They are not available off the shelf for the VN, they are a custom special order height spring... Not sure whether they just supply the VR/VS ones or if they are actually different though.

Lovell's don't make an ultra.

And for everyone that say 'get supers ultras are illegal...' - you do realise that each manufacturer simply use an arbitrary figure and there's no correlation between names and heights from manufacturer to manufacturer?

Lovells, King Springs etc. are all pretty similar when it comes it the heights for their Superlow, Ultralow range etc.

And I guarantee you that you cannot find an 'Ultralow' spring that is a legal height for the rear. So what I said is absolutely correct, and if you don't agree then prove me wrong and I will eat my words. If you can't then shutup.

F&B

Fallen & Battered
Reaction score
Members Ride
91 Lexcen
not sure if it is too late but if you ring pedders they do a thicker rear spring rubber for around $25 that lifts it up about 15mm and takes about 3 seconds to install just pop em in and get the defect rectafied and change back to ur original caps later and "fuk da police" i put the caps in my vn when my rims were bashing the christ out of my rear guards (cause the offset is wrong). should have u back on the road in no time

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Legality of springs depends on rims too... don't forget they can pick up the car a little, ultras may be a defect with stockies but if you go 19's or something with a larger overall profile you may just scrape through.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Legality of springs depends on rims too... don't forget they can pick up the car a little, ultras may be a defect with stockies but if you go 19's or something with a larger overall profile you may just scrape through.

lol yup cause different sized wheels change the distance from the centre of the wheel to the guard...

Unfortunately it doesnt work that way mate. Its eye height that will get you and that is the distance between the CENTRE of the wheel to the bottom of the guard, and the size of the wheel obviously has no effect upon this.

90VN55

Reaction score
Members Ride
90 VN SS 5speed, '90 VN Calais 5speed
1991_Vn2nV- that maybe so in SA but in QLD its 100mm to the lowest point

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991_Vn2nV- that maybe so in SA but in QLD its 100mm to the lowest point

Mattman is from Adelaide... Not QLD... And I was replying to his post, so it was only SA's rules that were relevant imo.

Secondly it is illegal to increase the rolling diameter by more than 15mm... Bigger wheels = smaller tyres = no difference in ride height. So bigger wheels do NOT come into it at all. If you increase the rolling diameter to increase the ride height thats just 2 defects you have to worry about instead of one.

Thirdly, QLD has more than just the 100mm law but that is mostly it... No eye height rules like SA as you said...SA rules suck :p From the Queensland guidelines:

The road clearance of a fully laden vehicle must not be less than 100mm measured at any part of the vehicle other than the wheel rim or brake backing plates. (This does not apply where a lesser clearance has been specified by the manufacturer.)
When lowering or raising a vehicle body (front or rear), the following additional restrictions are based on the manufacturer's dimensions for the standard unmodified
vehicle while unladen:
• The ride height measured between the rubber bump stop and the corresponding metal stop may be reduced by no more than one third.
• The rebound travel measured between the rubber rebound stop and the corresponding metal stop (or the extension of the shock absorber for vehicles
without a rebound stop) may be reduced by no more than one third.
• Coil springs are to remain in locating seats on full suspension droop without forcibly being removed.

In addition, the normal relationship between the front and rear suspension heights must not be unduly affected. Replacement springs (shorter or taller) must have the same or greater load capacity as the original springs. Suspension coil springs must not be shortened by cutting or heating. Leaf spring suspensions must not be raised by the use of extended shackles, adjustable metal plates or by placing the leaf springs to the opposite side of the axle. If lowering blocks are used, they must be either steel or aluminium.
Airbag or air pressurised shock absorber helper springs may be fitted in addition to the original suspension. However, replacing some or all of the suspension system
with an air or hydraulic suspension requires specific approval.

Last edited: