Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Detailing Tips & Tricks....

Charg'd

Reaction score
Members Ride
ford
deadfish2 said:
this may seem dumb but what can you use to clean window tint, just some windex or something.

definetely dont use windex, i use a chamois

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
Hi, just read through this thread and thought I would share a few things I learnt through cleaning Taxis all day at work!

The more often you clean your interior, the easier it gets!

If you have stubborn bits of grass/dog hair/sand and grit in your carpet, try giving it a scrub with a stiff hand brush before vacuuming the carpet.

If your cloth seats get little bobbles on them due to wear and tear, get a disposable razor and CAREFULLY shave them off the seat! Makes the seat look heaps better and isn't difficult to do. I never tore a seat or cut one in over 6 years doing this.

Try using a small paintbrush with the bristles cut down to about 2cm to get the dust out of tricky parts of the dash. Use a small paintbrush with normal bristles to clean around the steering column cowl and in the air-vents.

In my experience, the shallow swirls that appear on metallic paint over the years can be caused or made worse by automatic car washes with the rotating brushes. I always avoid these if possible!

Not sure whats available in Australia, but I had a set of EBC Greenstuff brakepads in my car back in the UK and I never got any brake dust on the wheels. Brilliant!

Anyway,thats my 2 cents added. Might be more but I can't think of it at the moment.

bradvt98

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt executive
using windex will EAT YOUR TINT away!!!! so i was told anyway i use a chamois there is products you can buy that are safe for it but if i were you i stick to a chamois just to be safe. :)

bradvt98

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt executive
minux said:
There is actually a new product out that you place onto your plastics after a detailing. I can't remember it's name i just know it is distributed through Valvoline(had soem come through work) basically it works like two opposite magnets, when dust hits the surface it literally glides off, it is amazing. I will follow up on the name of it.

that seems as though it's a good product how long does it stay there for before you have to put it on a again ?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
bradvt98 said:
that seems as though it's a good product how long does it stay there for before you have to put it on a again ?

Our trucks were coated 3 months ago, drivers are still happy with it lol, so i am not sure, back at work tomorrow so i will get the name of it.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Ok...I got an old tip from way back when I was mucking around with Torana's.

If you want to bring back to life any old dried out rubber parts...ie window rubbers...boot sealing rubbers etc...all you have to do is give them a good wipe over with some "Mineral Turpentine"...

I've just removed my boot sealing rubber to freshen it up a bit cause it got grotty...and the turps is really making it supple and newish again...

defyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Lish said:
Ummmm... unfortunately not....anything you put on the rim is just going to create an 'oily' coating which will attract more dirt if anything. I'm afraid just regular cleaning and elbow grease (or not driving the car) is the only thing that is going to keep them looking clean. I use my 'turtle wax swirl remover' on ours. Apply with damp soft cloth then buff off with soft dry one and they come up a treat :thumbsup:

There actually is products to stop dust and make it easier to clean as it is a sealant and will hose the dirt straight off:
http://www.waxit.com.au/products.asp?cat=29

I have been detailing my own cars & friends for years and only use the best products like, Zaino, Swissol, Pinnacle, Poorboys, Wolfgang!
I dont think i have ever bought products from Automotive stores except Meguairs once every now and then.
I always use a Genuine Lambswool Wash Mit & a Mircofibre Chamois..

Id recomend looking at these products, They are of the highest qaulity but if you want you car to look good they are worth the amount they cost.
www.waxit.com.au

Also, www.detailparadise.com.au has alot of pro detailers that can help out with problems and give expert advise, Some of there pictures are amazing of Ferrari's, Porsches, Chryslers they have detailed and the condition they were before hand etc.

Here is my GF's Beetle before she sold it:
2.jpg

Cheers,
Scott

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Ahh someone else who doesnt buy mainstream products...thank god!!!

Beetle looks great :)

defyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Spyper said:
Hey,
Sorry if question has already been asked before but..

My car has a fair number of swirls on the bonnet from the previous owner. What exactly does a swirl removing product do? What's involved with it? Is it like a polish? Put on, leave for awhile, then buff out? How long would it take for a newbie to do an entire car?

What do you need a fair number of swirls?
A polish will not get your swirls out, Most off the shelf products will not get the majority of them out, You need to buff the vehicle in stages with different pads and swirl removers.
You would start with a medium abbrasive depending on the swirls and then work your way to a light abbrasive then a polish to give it that extra shine. (As i said depending on the condition of the paint and the swirls)
A simple cut & polish and buffing it off by hand wont do the trick, You will most likely leave most of the product on the paint and buffing behind is not aggresive enough to get most swirls out.

You can get a pro to do the car for between $150-$300. It will generally take them between 4-6hrs for a decent job!

slidways

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz acclaim
I know i shouldnt be stealing but wot the hell! I taxed this little number from the HSV forums site it goes on abit but its good reading i also dont use any of the products mentioned in this rite up as i beleive u get wot u pay 4 like DEFYET said

http://www.hsvforum.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=1672