Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Detailing Tips & Tricks....

Exceler8r

(Ex-sell-er-rator)
Reaction score
Website
exceler8ed.enjin.com
Members Ride
MY12.5 VE SS-V Z Series Sportswagon
I may have accidentally skipped this question and answer but from a quick read through, couldn't find this one.

What is the best mixture for inside of windows and what should be used to wipe the cleaning agent, then on top of that, the same question for the outside of the windows?

Cheers.

bradvt98

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt executive
i just use a chamois you have to be careful what you use if you have tint

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
I find that 1:1 methylated spirits & water wiped with newspaper works great due to it not leaving any fluff (as long as u dont saturate it so it comes to bits)

Dylan VT

Metal forever
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore acclaim
Hi all. I would just like to know...

A nice, short and easy step by step guide to giving a car a nice clean/detail (inside and out).

I've been reading this thread and been finding out a lot of cool ways to do little jobs here and there, but I'd just like to know a good very broad step by step guide to cleaning your car better than the average person who doesn't know much about it all (me *embaressed*).

I'd like to clean it regularly and keep the paint shining, because I pride myself in having a good looking car, but I'd rather clean it and polish it myself than pay someone else to do it.

dan-wess

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY S Pac Series II
I got a phantom VY S and finally got sick of swirl marks. Tried a coulple of thing such as turtle wax - scratch and swirl remover which did a half decent job. But today I went all out, Mcguires step one paint cleaner, Mcguires step two polish, and finally Mcguires gold class wax.

Had applied cleaner and orbital buffer off,
Had applied polish and had buff off one panel at a time,
Had applied wax and orbital buffer off.

About 5 and half hours including washing with mcguire tec wash.
Not a swirl mark in sight and deeper looking colour. Well worth the sore arms.
Cheers
Dan

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
I got a phantom VY S and finally got sick of swirl marks. Tried a coulple of thing such as turtle wax - scratch and swirl remover which did a half decent job. But today I went all out, Mcguires step one paint cleaner, Mcguires step two polish, and finally Mcguires gold class wax.

Had applied cleaner and orbital buffer off,
Had applied polish and had buff off one panel at a time,
Had applied wax and orbital buffer off.

About 5 and half hours including washing with mcguire tec wash.
Not a swirl mark in sight and deeper looking colour. Well worth the sore arms.
Cheers
Dan

So what type of orbital are you using? What applicator do you use on the orbital, foam pad, lambswool or terry towel? We want details

dan-wess

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY S Pac Series II
So what type of orbital are you using? What applicator do you use on the orbital, foam pad, lambswool or terry towel? We want details

Using 'El Chepo' super works, 240mm, 140w, 3000 rpm buffer with Kenko polish/wax microfibre cloth to buff off. Hand applied products with mcguires hand applicators,the little round yellow ones. Really get in to it when applying product but when buffing off just let the buffer do the work and took it pretty slow. Finished off the hard to get bits with a Kenko microfibre polish cloth. Washed with a nice big clean kenko sponge.

Mcguires is pretty expensive next to some other brands but when you pay $$$$ for a car whats $150 a year in good products to look after it.

Cheers
Dan

Infin8

VXIIBerlina 'Chrome Spec'
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXIIBERLINA
besides being expensive, Mcguires has only gotten postive feedback. Does the colour of your car affect the wax/polish you use. I have a white car so which products [Mcguires] would best suit my colour. Also, which cloths do you guys use? I keep reading microfiber - what exactly does that mean? Im guessing just a normal handtowel would not work....

Cheers,
Infin8

4PLAYN

Reaction score
I might have skipped this question through the 90 minutes of reading and resting the eyes but.

On the VH vinal trims, what is the best product to use to remove wax and grime from every day use and the wax from say amourall. I want it so it has no wax, grease, oil or dirt left on it so i can paint the door trims with vinal dye.

Assuming that the same products can be used with the rest of the plastics for the interior i will use it for all plastics and slowly dye everything in my car.

Any ideas??

Cheers

Adam.