Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Did Commodore kill Holden?

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR

In my opinion the short answer is no. The long answer has been debated on this forum ad nauseum.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Great video, pretty much sums up my thoughts (although they need to work on their drifting skills!)
Love the voiceover saying sedan while showing the hatch images!

As you say, discussed ad nauseum here.
A good car, but: misbadged for the local market; trying to serve a dwindling product sector; didn't have the performance model that was available previously; and didn't have the hyper economy version to challenge the white goods

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
GM wanted it dead and killed it all on their own. They new Holden's would sell overseas but wouldn't allow it because they wanted Holden dead so it didn't compete with trash coming out of the USA.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
GM wanted it dead and killed it all on their own. They new Holden's would sell overseas but wouldn't allow it because they wanted Holden dead so it didn't compete with trash coming out of the USA.

You don't think the car manufacturing unions in the USA had a limit on how many cars GM could import and sell? Also the A$ shot through the roof and made it hard to compete. That was the final nail in the coffin for car manufacturing along with Abbott in Australia. They were not keen on car manufacturing.

Now look at the Government. Oh look we should manufacture goods here and not rely on China.

Last edited:

apollo13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE LPG
You don't think the car manufacturing unions in the USA had a limit on how many cars GM could import and sell? Also the A$ shot through the roof and made it hard to compete. That was the final nail in the coffin for car manufacturing along with Abbott in Australia. They were not keen on car manufacturing.
Also the Corporate Average Fuel Economy in the USA was cranked up from 27.5 MPG in 2010 to 38.5 MPG in 2017. It meant selling more than a few thousand LS3 Commodores was not worth it for GM.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Also the Corporate Average Fuel Economy in the USA was cranked up from 27.5 MPG in 2010 to 38.5 MPG in 2017. It meant selling more than a few thousand LS3 Commodores was not worth it for GM.

Because of the gus guzzling Tax?

RossK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE11 SV6, VF LPG Evoke
Can't just blame Abbott, this started with John Button back in 1983.
Every successive government brought the tariffs down to make the car makers in Aus get competitive globally.
John Howard actually froze the reductions for 5 years. By 2012 our Auto industry had the lowest tartiffs in the world - not much protection really.
All Abbott did was stop the handouts in 2013.
So you can blame the successive governments since 1983.
You can also blame the public,
Instead of a Territory people bought imported Klugers, Cx7s, X-trails, Santa Fe's etc
Instead of a Falcadore people bought imported Passats, Audis, Mazda 6's, Subarus etc
It's us that killed the Aussie car industry.
(I have 2 Commodores in my driveway and 2 Falcons prior to those, FYI)