Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Did some testing on the weekend - VF Redline vs E3 Clubsport

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
Hi guys,

As the title says, had access to a very large private property on the weekend with lots of beautiful fresh asphalt, so me and my brother took our cars down for a few runs.

Now for this exercise I will include dyno numbers that are free to be disputed, however it does provide an interesting contrast.

The cars were:

2014 VF Redline Sedan (25000ks)
Mods: Difilippo 4 into 1 headers (1 & 3/4") with 2.5" catback, OTR and tune. Making 271rwkw, gain of 65rwkw over stock (with 2.5" X-Force catback) pull.
Fuel: E85

2012 E3 Clubsport Sedan (24000ks)
Mods: Stock headers & cats, X-Force 3" catback exhaust, OTR and tune. Making 260rwkw, gain of 30rwkw over stock (with 3" X-Force catback) pull.
Fuel: 98RON

We did 4 races (untimed) as per below:

80-160km/h rolling start in manual mode both cars gear 2:
Winner - VF Redline by 2 car lengths

80-160km/h rolling start in sports mode:
Winner - VF Redline by 2 car lengths

0-120km/h standing start in sports mode, ASC both cars in competition mode:
Winner - VF Redline by 1.5 car lengths

60-160km/h rolling start in sports mode, ASC both cars in competition mode:
Winner - VF Redline by 2.5 car lengths

Suffice to say, my brother was quite disappointed after getting his OTR installed and car tuned to be beaten by my SS. We both thought the race results would be literally reversed, as did each respective tuner.

What are your thoughts? I was originally of the mindset that my cars dyno graph was too high however after this I am not so sure.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
Well considering the VF has headers and a E85 tune that seems about right.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
The E3 seems to be down on the power it should be making with the mods it has where as the VF looks like it should be.

Is there a big difference in weight of the wheels/ tyres? Even large/ heavier discs could have an effect here as well.

Then there is the obvious with one being on, and I imagine tuned for E85 vs. 98

Nonetheless interesting results and the question is, why would you go for a HSV when you can modify an SS to that extent and likely have some change left over!

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
My experience is the same, been saying for over four years now that there is very little mechanical advantage with the HSV engine, just geared differently.
I am on other forums with HSV owners, basically the standard bearer for HSV is the GenF GTS, the rest is fluff and bubble for people with money to burn. One guy has spent $50k on hotting up an old E1 that would not keep up to an L77 SS with well researched and relatively clever bolt-ons like yours. Instead of 1 3/4 and 2.5" for eg most go 1 7/8 and 3" - like fitting a fire hose to a garden tap but coz race car.
Suffice it to say HSV owners are bitten by the (noisey) pose bug, put to the test it just doesn't add up to me.
BTW you must keep it HSV original, so how much do you think it costs for a set of HSV rear 350mm rotors?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Not surprised. You make more power, he's most likely heavier and the results seem to confirm that.

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
It surprised me as many users dispute any dyno chart showing an L77 or L98 with bolt on mods and a tune making 270rwkw, it seems to be the norm to pull about 250rwkw.

It was great fun though :)

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
It surprised me as many users dispute any dyno chart showing an L77 or L98 with bolt on mods and a tune making 270rwkw, it seems to be the norm to pull about 250rwkw.

It was great fun though :)

Depends on the Dyno and operator, were both cars done on the same dyno? My car made 240rwkw on CHE's dyno and 255rwkw on my mates dyno out at Penrith. Comparing figures from different cars on different dynos is pointless.

JETURBO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF R8 SV
Both cars manual ?

Top end figures don't always mean much but the mid range torque that can be tuned with E85 is really good so not surprised at all but theres some big gaps in these wins so it's evident that your SS is set up much better

I can only assume you thought the .2 of a ltr was going to be enough to keep your 6.0 honest ?

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
What about the driver? That could play a part too. Did you swap cars and try again?

... Plus the E1 seems down on power - he should take it back to his tuner.

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
Depends on the Dyno and operator, were both cars done on the same dyno? My car made 240rwkw on CHE's dyno and 255rwkw on my mates dyno out at Penrith. Comparing figures from different cars on different dynos is pointless.

Correct, different dynos.

Both cars manual ?

Top end figures don't always mean much but the mid range torque that can be tuned with E85 is really good so not surprised at all but theres some big gaps in these wins so it's evident that your SS is set up much better

I can only assume you thought the .2 of a ltr was going to be enough to keep your 6.0 honest ?

Both cars are auto, I thought the clubby would be quicker due to the 3.27 gears and the fact that the tuner who worked on that car said mine would wouldn't pull over 250 on their dyno. I was also under the impression that the LS3 delivers more torque lower, however that was purely an assumption.

What about the driver? That could play a part too. Did you swap cars and try again?

... Plus the E1 seems down on power - he should take it back to his tuner.

Didn't swap drivers, didn't need to as the difference was really quite significant. He is taking it back to his tuner on Friday as they have even said 'something doesn't seem quite right' with regards to the runs.