Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Large VCM rear mufflers on a VE/VF V8 - finally found some & the results are pretty great

The91kwbeast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Hi all

As per @RevNev's suggestion at various points in this forum, I have finally found an extremely difficult to find set of large aftermarket rear mufflers, from an old RS Performance system (a rebranded VCM exhaust).

My objective was to fit these large mufflers to achieve:

a) A deep note
b) low or no drone levels
c) a quiet note at cruising and light throttle, and ideally keep total volume below 90db for a noise test
d) still a rorty loud-ish note when you're on the gas

Pics are below so you can see their size, they are actually larger than even the Holden mufflers. They are a 2.5" entry point straight through muffler with a single exit, perforated pipe inside with fibreglass packing, and fit the standard Holden/HSV exit point on the catback although they are the 2 bolt flange style.

The reason for me hunting for these unicorn mufflers, is because almost all aftermarket aftermarket rear mufflers use small oval straight through mufflers. Like this:

These are universally terrible for drone at 1800rpm in automatics, and are too loud on most aftermarket systems. This is partially because they use single entry points but a dual outlet, but also simply because the body is only about 6" high so they simply are too small to kill drone and noise. They will usually enable a deep and rorty rumble though.

Note I currently have per my other thread a X Force VF82 system ( 1 3/4 long tube 4-1 headers, 100 cell cats into a 3" catback, which finishes in the standard position to enable Holden mufflers to fit).

The results are in and - they're pretty good!

I've score as follows:
a) 9/10 - nice and deep

b) 7/10 - Fairly good result. I've got a tad more drone than the VF2 bimodals when they are set to open but its pretty manageable. Versus closed there is a bit more, which for anyone who does a lot of highway driving may warrant some thought. As usual at 1,800-2000 rpm is where the drone zone is and when the car is cold, or you're on the highway with constant throttle going uphill it is there a little unfortunately but its much better than any small body diff back mufflers, simply because of the mufflers ability to absorb it. Rule of thumb with these cars seems to be louder muffler = more drone, unless you have bi modals or a J pipe to cancel it out.

c) 10/10 - Perfect. Nice note on idle not too loud, I did a quick rev with my phone to 3.5k rpm to try to test a sound test, and it didn't pass 90db. Its not a professional test but it gives you an idea. Modest volume level, and again nice and bassy but also it in no way sounds restrictive since its straight through

d) 9/10 - great result. As the revs build past 3krpm so does the volume, and it sounds rather good. I'm still getting in my tune the occasional pop which is more of a thunder crack, versus the VF2 bimodal.

I'd really like to put these to the test an have AFM turned back on in my tune to see how they go absorbing that noise also! :)

The91kwbeast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Muffler pics attached will get some vids of the sound of it soon!

Attachments

• IMG_20230916_154311288.jpg
    IMG_20230916_154311288.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20230916_154232197_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230916_154232197_HDR.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20230916_154248085.jpg
    IMG_20230916_154248085.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 95

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
b) 7/10 - Fairly good result. I've got a tad more drone than the VF2 bimodals when they are set to open but its pretty manageable. Versus closed there is a bit more, which for anyone who does a lot of highway driving may warrant some thought. As usual at 1,800-2000 rpm is where the drone zone is and when the car is cold, or you're on the highway with constant throttle going uphill it is there a little unfortunately but its much better than any small body diff back mufflers, simply because of the mufflers ability to absorb it. Rule of thumb with these cars seems to be louder muffler = more drone, unless you have bi modals or a J pipe to cancel it out.
The bimodal open has less drone than the big mufflers?

The open side of the bimodal has 100mm of perforated tube with fibreglass packing at the inlet and the rest is straight pipe and wouldn't muffle a whole lot more than a 12" hot dog. It depends on what the big mufflers are packed with for example, long haired fibreglass ram packed meaning you're jamming the long-haired fiberglass in there with a metal rod is the quietest. There's a dense fibreglass and rockwool type packing and needle mat often used in motor bike mufflers tends to be drony even with a big muffler body. The type of perforated tube hole size and spacing makes a difference too, this pictured below is the quietest perf and correct fibreglass for the least drone and smoothest note.

Good report and test, well done!

20210710_023106.jpg

The91kwbeast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
The bimodal open has less drone than the big mufflers?

The open side of the bimodal has 100mm of perforated tube with fibreglass packing at the inlet and the rest is straight pipe and wouldn't muffle a whole lot more than a 12" hot dog. It depends on what the big mufflers are packed with for example, long haired fibreglass ram packed meaning you're jamming the long-haired fiberglass in there with a metal rod is the quietest. There's a dense fibreglass and rockwool type packing and needle mat often used in motor bike mufflers tends to be drony even with a big muffler body. The type of perforated tube hole size and spacing makes a difference too, this pictured below is the quietest perf and correct fibreglass for the least drone and smoothest note.

Good report and test, well done!

View attachment 259600
Yeah correct, juuust. When shut chalk and cheese & the bimodal is totally drone free.

Could be needle in a haystack finding the information as to what was in these VCM mufflers however I did take this pic when there was a lip I had to reseal dunno if you can tell from what's in that?

Or, when I post some vids of how it sounds that may be a giveaway?

Attachments

• IMG_20230918_082340379.jpg
    IMG_20230918_082340379.jpg
    683.2 KB · Views: 88

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Yeah correct, juuust. When shut chalk and cheese & the bimodal is totally drone free.

Could be needle in a haystack finding the information as to what was in these VCM mufflers however I did take this pic when there was a lip I had to reseal dunno if you can tell from what's in that?

Or, when I post some vids of how it sounds that may be a giveaway?
The bimodal closed is like jamming a rag in the end of straight pipe. The exhaust gas has to travel through the fibreglass packing at the inlet end of the muffler to reach the outer tail pipe, quiet from massive restriction.

The fibreglass looks like the coarse stuff which is a bit straw like and louder. The quieter long haired stuff is silky to touch and very pliable.

My modified bimodals open are much quieter than the stock bimodal's open and the exhaust could've been a bit louder and is probably on the quiet side. Doing the bimodal's again, I'd keep the valve side 2.25" instead of 2" and the quiet side probably reduce the perf from 2" to 1.75".

Here's a pretty raw video of what my Ute sounds like on a quick blast down the road. The note is super smooth and sounds good!

Reactions: Lex

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Rev in park to 3.5k rpm

Hard take off 1-2-3 gears
Sounds good, but it's a lot louder than I'd expect with mufflers that size.

What mufflers are in the mid pipe?

The91kwbeast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Sounds good, but it's a lot louder than I'd expect with mufflers that size.

What mufflers are in the mid pipe?

The mufflers are about loud as the bimodal being shut at low throttle and idle, and it didn't go over 90db up to 3.5k rpm so it may be just how my phone's mic pics it up

The mid pipe is the Xforce VF82kit

So 1 3/4 long tube headers
3" exit to 100 cell cats 4inch body
Again 3" exit to a 3" catback which has a X pipe and two resonators
narrows to 2.5" before the rear mufflers

I did notice this system was quite a bit louder than the HSV 2.5" catback and headers but wrote that off as being using HSV cats which are 400 cell, and a smaller catback

https://xforce.com.au/products/e2-vf82-bim-kit/

The91kwbeast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Here is a vid of the VF2 bimodals on the same system both shut then open at the end

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I did notice this system was quite a bit louder than the HSV 2.5" catback and headers but wrote that off as being using HSV cats which are 400 cell, and a smaller catback
Here's mine with 340 headers zero cell (piped) cats and stock HSV 2.5" Maloo midpipe with my modified bimodals valves open. It was only marginally louder than a stock Maloo with the bimodal's open but a smoother note. With 400 cell cats, I think it would've been quieter than the stock HSV cars.

Changing the X-pipe to a proper 15 deg merge collector style and increasing the resonator internal size from 2.25" to 2.5" made it quite a bit louder with more separation. The 3" midpipe could certainly make the exhaust louder than 2.5".

20210825_031640 (2).jpg