Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

diesel-powered VE Commodore

Rufus®

I Jizzed in my pants
Reaction score
Website
www.mediafire.com
Members Ride
VR S1 S Pack, VX S2 Acclaim Wagoon
Not sure if this has been posted before. Had a look, but couldn't see anything.

This looks pretty sweet...

http://www.carpoint.com.au/car-review/2154752.aspx

A high-tech diesel-powered VE Commodore will arrive in Holden showrooms within 12 months

The state-of-the-art 3.0-litre turbo-diesel V6 matches -- at least on paper -- the credentials of any similar-sized oil burner being offered by the likes of BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Audi.

This is what i like "Who wouldn't like V8 torque coupled with four-cylinder economy?"

Lets see if they can pull it off

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
It sounds good but something that's been getting to me lately is how it's such an accomplishment for something that us Aussies can develop to just "match" or "keep up with" something the Europeans can do.. I think we should stop trying to keep up with them, and actually do something better than them for once.. *sigh* I expect too much from our small Holdens, but I guess there's a reason why the European cars cost more..

Looking forward to this alternative fuel offering from Holden, Ford have had factory LPG for a long time now, not sure if Holden has or hasn't though

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
I'm a bit of an old-schooler, I always see turbo-diesels as rattly, rough pieces of cr@p, that ya have to get up to 3000RPM to get anywhere, but redline at 5000RPM anyway. I haven't driven any of the new-ages diesels, but looking at those power figures,a nd where the power/torque is, why aren't they more common? There has to be more than just the old-school stigma surelly, because no one can argue that that diesel will, or (I'm sure) any other new-aged diesel is a slug. So what's the down side of these new diesels?

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
I think we should stop trying to keep up with them, and actually do something better than them for once.. *sigh* I expect too much from our small Holdens, but I guess there's a reason why the European cars cost more..

Where Holden sells a few hundred thousand cars a year, companies like BMW sell millions globally. Factor in the fact that the average BMW price tag would buy a top of the line Holden, and you can see why the Euro's can move forward so easily.

In conjunction with this, because profits are so much higher, and sales far more guaranteed, the Euro brands could, and do, develop a similarly sized project to the VE, in half the time easily. On the sales again, even ugly BMW's sell, but if Holden or Ford built an ugly Commodore or Falcon (eg. the AU) sales drop horrifically and there is very little chance of turning a profit at all.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Thats more like it holden!:), now all we need is a hatchback and the circle is complete.
Should be quite a weapon when you double the boost too :D and I'll have one in my VP when a few VE's go to the great caryard in the sky too

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Thanks Evman, makes more sense now!

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
The reason they aren't more common - yes the days of noisy smelly rattly diesels are gone, but they still are louder than a normal petrol engine. Also also, while torque and peak power are up, they are still slower accelerating.

All the same, it will offer very good fuel economy (hopefully <7l/100km) and will bring the commodore back into the picture for people looking for lower running costs.

To give you and idea how frugal they are... the new Mazda 6 6cyl (non turbo) diesel claims 5.4l/100km!! Top gear also had a turbo v8 diesel get 40 miles/gallon (7l/100km)... although it was absolutely babied.

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
To give you and idea how frugal they are... the new Mazda 6 6cyl (non turbo) diesel claims 5.4l/100km!! Top gear also had a turbo v8 diesel get 40 miles/gallon (7l/100km)... although it was absolutely babied.

That would be a 2.0l 4cyl in the mazda diesel, not a 6cyl.......

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Oh man they have so much potential :) doesn't matter if the engine revs abit slower when you can gear it to suit. Nothing will beat this VE across the traffic lights with some extra PSI thrown down it, you mark my words this engine will being doing 12's in the VE before you know it

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6681905275431367990