Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

diesel-powered VE Commodore

Scotty_Doesn't_Know

Don't Tell Scotty...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Calais
Running costs? You know I'm selling my VX at the moment and even if I did NOTHING but sit it in the garage the entire time I have owned it, it will still have cost me about $10 a day (perhaps a little bit more) in depreciation alone! Problem is, fuel is the most visible running cost of a vehicle so that's why the market demands better fuel economy.

Focus really needs to be pulled away from fuel economy and put more on things like performance, technology and safety improvements.

Comments like "the new Commodore gets 0.2l/100km (or whatever it was) better fuel economy than the old one making it more affordable for Mum's and Dad's" simply make me laugh! Yup - that extra 50c in their pocket will go a LONG way...

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
I too agree that fuel economy is vastly overrated....

But this diesel engine will only increase any success of the VE, and the engine specs are very impressive. Even in stock form, it seems it will easily take the petrol run alloytec engine.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Yeah it should be in the mid to high 7's to 100km/h and be around 10 litres per 100 in the city and 6-7 on the highway which is pretty fancy stuff and last just about forever. Should sound pretty crazy too, bDRDRDRDRDRDRDRDRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, pssssssssssshCOooooooooooo BRDRDRDRDRRDRDRD PSHHHHHHHHHHHHHoooooooo :p

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
if you get a chance have a drive of the AH Astra diesel, it will change your mind aout rattly diesels, they are brilliant to drive, smooth quiet & have a surprising amount of go too.

Rob

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
agreed. they are only a little bit noisy at idle and thats about all you can expect from a diesel

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
I hate the diesel engine sound, I know the new cars have minimised the sound, but its still there and sounds like a truck.

i reckon after 5yrs, they'll be like the old skool diesels.

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Maybe we should look at the past for an idea of how things could be, the only car I can think of from Holden (well it was a J-car so it doesn't count lol) was the diesel Gemini.. were they popular or a flop? Wasn't there a fuel scare around that time as well? I'm not sure :s

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
I'm a bit of an old-schooler, I always see turbo-diesels as rattly, rough pieces of cr@p, that ya have to get up to 3000RPM to get anywhere, but redline at 5000RPM anyway...

I couldn't have said it better myself. :thumbsup: I find it hard to get rid of that stigma attached to diesels, and I haven't seen/driven anything yet which has changed my mind.

...and what about the dirty black smoke they blow? Uuuuurgh :bang:

knowledge_is_power

Quest for Cognition
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII V6 A4
Going by most of the Euros I see, the only time you see the diesel smoke is when the boost and or diesel pump are wound up above factory. There is also a catalyst now for diesel engines that help reduce emissions. Wether Holden use it or not is a different story.

I think that keeping to Holden’s Euro targets it will be a clean and potent engine that will be great for towing. If well excepted it will increase the resale value of models with the diesel engine. You'll find that Taxi companies will want them due to fuel economy and engine life.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Well apparently the price of Diesel is about to drop dramatically. I'd love a diesel powered car, fill up cheaper/ get better mpg and still have the power to boot, seems like a dream come true.

I'm all for it, I like the idea about the hatch too, I think they could pull it off with the new model.