Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diesel semi synthetic engine oil in a LS1 turbo

VXSSTurbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Hi guys,

First off I'm a complete newbie to this site and have spent hours upon hours researching/reading all the posts and I love it!! Now down to business... After years of owning turbo rotaries (cue the haters) I thought I'd get into an LS1 turbo and only today purchased a VX SS with a T04Z etc that's fully engineered and is 'authority' safe. Now everything is sweet as - car is great to drive and has plenty of low down torque and power. My question is as above in the title the previous owner runs 10-40 semi synthetic diesel oil in her!! Does anyone else do this? I've done some googling and found bits and pieces but nothing really in concrete. Anyone care to give me the heads up please.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
The idea is diesel oil is better because all of them are turbo rated and have more detergents which keeps it cleaner.
But in reality most turbo rated full synthetic petrol oil is better as they have anti sludge agents etc anyway.

VXSSTurbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
The idea is diesel oil is better because all of them are turbo rated and have more detergents which keeps it cleaner.
But in reality most turbo rated full synthetic petrol oil is better as they have anti sludge agents etc anyway.

Ok cheers for that, so is there a particular brand or grade I should be looking at to put in my LS1T? And if so I'm guessing it's just the normal drain/filter change to swap from diesel to petrol semi synthetic?

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
I just run a full syn and change it every 10,000K's, not a problem.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Again there is a lot of myth and legend about changing around mineral/semi/full etc... seems simple to me, but some like to make simple things hard?