Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diffs, FAQ

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Would like to post a bit of an update got a lsd centre from a VT clusport Series 1 (yes 5ltr version) after buying it for my calais trying to sell it i have realised it is defenitely a BW80 series one has a much larger cvrown and pinion with 3.07 gears.
So in first post where it says series 1 are the same I'm not sure if that is entirely true. It's from a 97 model so i'd say that Vt centers are not interchangable with earlier models only later. Anyone after a late model LSD let me know:thumbsup:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
hi guys , i just got a diff with 4.11 gears from the wreakers , it apears to be a vn 4cyl diff? same psycially as a v6 diff but with drum brakes. it has the same back cover on the diff with 9 bolts. does anyone know how to tell by looking at it its not a old vh type or where they quite a bit smaller? some part numbers maby? cheers.

yeap, definitly a BW diff. these were used since the last VK's and VL models

Would like to post a bit of an update got a lsd centre from a VT clusport Series 1 (yes 5ltr version) after buying it for my calais trying to sell it i have realised it is defenitely a BW80 series one has a much larger cvrown and pinion with 3.07 gears.
So in first post where it says series 1 are the same I'm not sure if that is entirely true. It's from a 97 model so i'd say that Vt centers are not interchangable with earlier models only later. Anyone after a late model LSD let me know:thumbsup:

strange, well not really. you never can be 100% certain with exatly whats what with the change over models. i'll update the OP.:thumbsup:

i had a issue with my brothers Nissan Bluebird. needed a new starter motor, there were 3 listed in the suppliers manual. non fitted, i had to get one and then get a seperate drive pinion and fit it myself to get a new starter to fit. in the end i repaired the old starter and it worked fine. thank the motoring god that Holden arn't that bad:p

crewsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sierra

VT series 1.. maybe the HSV models had the BW80 and Holdens had BW78??

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
VT series 1.. maybe the HSV models had the BW80 and Holdens had BW78??
Thats is a possibility
Spoke to dean today he said his kaaz diff was to suit vn-vt s1 and vts2 onwards had different part no. So its a bit of a funny one. Another which has crossed my mind is that it has been rebuilt so maybe they changed the centre and gearset to the later model idk. i knio he had dramas with his kaaz when it got fitted maybe it was due to different or maybe they just didnt know what they were doing because they stuffed the bearing on the lsd when they removed it
that could be a point? i didn't even think about that.....

i was always pretty sure that vts1 got the bw78..... *scratch's head*

Thats what i thought too

Last edited:

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
Well after looking on car sales, i noticed the vt clubby (with the 5L, so series 1) had a final drive ratio of 3.07?

So maybe they did throw the bw80's in the hsv's? so i guess its official the vks2(6only)-vts1 applies to all commodore's except the vt hsv range?

learn something new everyday :p

Transmission description Four speed automatic with overdrive and lock-up torque converter.
Transmission type 4 auto
Ratio 1 3.06:1
Ratio 2 1.63:1
Ratio 3 1.00:1
Ratio 4 0.70:1
Final drive ratio 3.07:1
Final drive location Rear Limited slip differential fitted as standard.
Research Car Specifications - carsales.com.au

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
See if you can find a non hsv 5ltr and compare it might be an ask though , maybe someone on here with one can enlighten us

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
TRANSMISSION HOLDEN COMMODORE VT SS
Transmission description Four speed electronically controlled automatic with lock-up torque converter, oil to air cooler for towing to 1200kg and dual modes, Power and Economy.
Transmission type 4 auto
Ratio 1 3.06:1
Ratio 2 1.63:1
Ratio 3 1.00:1
Ratio 4 0.70:1
Reverse 2.29:1
Final drive ratio 3.08:1
Final drive location Rear
thats from the same site but with a vt ss s1.....

YEP-20S

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport
a friend of mine has a vr v6 commodore ute, will a diff centre out of a sedan bolt straight in? as having trouble finding a ute diff for it