Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diff gears! 3.7's or 3.9's?

HERONVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY2 SS
3.7 will still be a benefit. Holden's are pretty lazy off the line.

Yeah I agree, hear lots of good things about quick take off with the 3.7s , so looks as though ill still end up hunting a set down

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

james1988

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
If your going through all the effort. I would go 4.11's everytime. Or atleast 3.9's.
There's going to be about 30% increase In revs.
And if you have done other engine work like cams etc you're not going to mind the little extra in fuel costs.
My friend went from 3.08 to 3.7 in his vt exec and it wasn't very noticeable.

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon

really?? i went from 3.08's to 3.46s and it was a big difference, then after my burnout comp days were over (after the respray) i went to the 3.9s for more drag friendly fun

HERONVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY2 SS
If your going through all the effort. I would go 4.11's everytime. Or atleast 3.9's.
There's going to be about 30% increase In revs.
And if you have done other engine work like cams etc you're not going to mind the little extra in fuel costs.

That being said ... If I went 3.9's or 4.11s would I lose alot of power mid-high revs?
Meaning quick take off, but gutless up high? Still liking the idea of 3.7s, seems like a good mediocre

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
3.9 and 4.11 isn't that good on a manual you will find your self changing gears really quick.

james1988

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
Sorry. Since we were talking about 3.08 ratios I thought it was an auto.
Its a difficult decision. Cos it's such a expensive job to have to do again if you pick the wrong ratio.

HERONVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY2 SS
3.9 and 4.11 isn't that good on a manual you will find your self changing gears really quick.

Yeah thats what im fearing, seeing it is a street car and i dont do burnouts, so 3.9's + 4.11's seem unnecessary

Sorry. Since we were talking about 3.08 ratios I thought it was an auto.
Its a difficult decision. Cos it's such a expensive job to have to do again if you pick the wrong ratio.

Yeah , i'll get under and have a look at what it has stamped on the diff and see where to go from there, pretty sure that walesy + haxzaw are right on this one about 3.45's though
Seems like 3.7's still seem like the go due to the "streetability" of them, they are a mediocre type choice, the car wont be revving its tits off and getting nowhere once it hits about 5-6k revs and will still be an improvement over the standard diff setup ..hopefully lol

Al

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
i reckon 3.7's are your best bet as well.... at 100kmh should only be a difference of about 200 revs by my calcs
not really going to effect fuel economy at all to me

HERONVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY2 SS
Just got up underneath and it says ratio: 3.08:1 so yeah no wonder shes sluggish off the line lol

Managed to get onto a set of 3.73s for 300 brand new, so pretty stoked atm :)

edit: pic here:
cache_000001351bb3130f171.jpg

Sorry for the bad quality, was difficult holding the camera all stretched out and was shaking when i took the pic lol
..its hard getting under lowered cars, should of jacked it up to get a better pic.. meh

Al

Last edited: