Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Difference in KW's for Man or Auto L77 in Series 1.

blakethemus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
HSV ever get 325kw from the LS2 (6litre)? I thought they topped out at 317 or something.
Either way the LS2 block in comparison to the LS1 was not so much a leap as the difference from LS2 to LS3.

The LS2 was 307kw. The LS3 was 317kw and 325kw in the GTS.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
camshafts have different part numbers.... AFM v Manual
and the timing in the tune is different because of that (exhausts are the same part numbers)

I'll have to check that I reckon, GM's service info lists only 1 spec for L77 cam specs. I can tell you that rear mufflers are a different p/n though.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
HSV ever get 325kw from the LS2 (6litre)? I thought they topped out at 317 or something.
Either way the LS2 block in comparison to the LS1 was not so much a leap as the difference from LS2 to LS3.

One of the biggest leaps for the L98, L77, LS3 and other variants over the LS1 & LS2 was going from cathedral to rectangular ported heads.

attachment.php

ls_port_identification_chart.jpg

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
I'll have to check that I reckon, GM's service info lists only 1 spec for L77 cam specs. I can tell you that rear mufflers are a different p/n though.

their parts people show a different cam for auto v manual (dunno about the service info, i have not checked mine)

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Again guys very interesting info.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
their parts people show a different cam for auto v manual (dunno about the service info, i have not checked mine)

Just as a follow up I went digging and threw a few VINs into EPC and our service history - they list the same p/n for camshaft between VE/VF auto/manual.

Confirms what I would have thought - if there was a different camshaft there'd be two different RPO codes for each engine model (aka the L76/L98 in VE).

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Just as a follow up I went digging and threw a few VINs into EPC and our service history - they list the same p/n for camshaft between VE/VF auto/manual.

Confirms what I would have thought - if there was a different camshaft there'd be two different RPO codes for each engine model (aka the L76/L98 in VE).

Interesting and if this is the case what is killing 270Kw's back to 260Kw's?

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
I would expect a combo of tuning and exhaust. Rear mufflers are definitely a different p/n between auto and manual - the AFM mufflers are a bit more restrictive and I'd imagine the AFM tune would be a bit more friendly to swapping in and out of AFM.