Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Digital Speedo

hothouse vy s

supercharged hothouse VYS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore S
Does anyone know whether the 2003 VY Series 1 Sedans have the digital speedo?

cliffo78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline, VL Exec, VY Berlina
My VY series II had it, but in the hidden functions. Turn ignition off, then hold "mode" + "set" down while turning the ignition to the "ON" position and it should come up with a serial/version number. Then keep pressing mode until you see "SPEED".

maxy0987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
depends what you want. The hold and set method will only work temporarily (read: once you turn the car off you need to do it again).

The tech2 turn it on permanently but it removes the speed alert function. The speed is also written in bold when the tech2 is used (the mode + set method is in normal text)

giannetto

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black vy 'S'
Yes my series 1 has it. but the writitng is too small to be used

N

nicholasjoe

I'm in the same boat as giannetto. Never use it though, as posted above; the font is way to small.

wazza 42

White Pure White
Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VYII S Pack Utility/03 VYII S Pack Sedan
I think you will find that it is part of the "cop code" which can only be activated with tech2.A mate of mine has it in his series 1 BT1 ex Sth.Aust. cop car he bought at auction.At a recent service at the dealer they removed it as he told it is illegal to have.After a discussion over the vehicle having it when he bought it they reactivated it for him.

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 II Commodore - Chlorophyll
Digital Speedo is available.
There are 2 ways to get it
1. (Temporary) (meaning that when you turn the car off it is gone until you manually turn it on again). To turn it on hold MODE AND SET buttons in while turning the car on. This will give you digital speedo as well as many other diagnostic features. The speedo is small with this method.

2. (Permanent) Take the car to you local holden dealer and get them to enable "Police Mode". This mode gives you digital speedo permanently in the menu and is BIG, but you will lose the overspeed alert. I have mine enabled this way and I don't even use the anologue speedo anymore. :p This method needs the TECH 2 equipment plugged in that you local holden dealer will have. It takes them about 2 minutes and if your nice to them they will enable it for free(Mine did anyway), Or just ask them to turn it on when you take the car in for the next service. :dance:

VPwagon

Reaction score
wazza 42 said:
I think you will find that it is part of the "cop code" which can only be activated with tech2.A mate of mine has it in his series 1 BT1 ex Sth.Aust. cop car he bought at auction.At a recent service at the dealer they removed it as he told it is illegal to have.After a discussion over the vehicle having it when he bought it they reactivated it for him.

For what possible reason could it be illegal??? Apart from if you know exactly what speed you're doing you might not get busted speeding, therefore less money in their already over-flowing coffers. Mongrels!!:ranting:

My VYII SV8 doesn't have it (yet) but one of my mates has just picked up VZ SV6 and that's got it. He got it with 9000kms on the clock and I'm sure the old dude before him didn't have it turned to "Police Mode". Does anyone know if the VZ had it by default?

zeb00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
with the cop mode you do lose the speed alert but in its place you get digital speed and speed trap which is when you press set it saves your current speed which can be accessed with the arrow key. also when in cop mode and digital speedo is showing the radio display will not be show on the console.