Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Disadvantages of using High-Low line RCA converters?

benggie13

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 Vs Berlina
hey there guys just reading the thread here and was just wondering in regards to the hi/low conveter, what do you connect the remote trigger to on the HU end ???
As i am considering going down this path in my new Vt Berlina
cheers guys
Benggie

r_i_d_a_h

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VS Commodore + '98 E36
The remote trigger from the Head Unit controls external amps and/or electric aerial. so when ever you turn the headunit on those accessories will turn on as well.

with the after market amplifier you just connect the remote trigger from the head unit to the remote input of the amplifier.

joshtaylor87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina
hey there guys just reading the thread here and was just wondering in regards to the hi/low conveter, what do you connect the remote trigger to on the HU end ???
As i am considering going down this path in my new Vt Berlina
cheers guys
Benggie

If your using the factory H/U you can get a device (not sure what its called) that you wire up to a pair of speaker (high) line outs from the H/U and then from this device you run a wire into the remote trigger on the amp. The device senses when the H/U is switched on by sensing audio on the speaker line outs and sending the signal for the amp(s) to turn on. This all happens instantaneous (there is no delay from when you turn the H/U on and when the amp(s) kick in).

Can get these from most car audio stores.

But being a VT I would take out the factory H/U and put an aftermarket H/U in. It would sound better and it would already have RCA outs and a remote trigger out etc so you don't need all the converters.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Just a thought, but most amps i have seen have a hi line input on them, they have the converter built into them, i have used them before on stock head decks, simply for the reason they dont have rca outs, and had no issues. Does your amp not have them.

joshtaylor87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina
Just a thought, but most amps i have seen have a hi line input on them, they have the converter built into them, i have used them before on stock head decks, simply for the reason they dont have rca outs, and had no issues. Does your amp not have them.

Yea some amps have them, but I wouldn't say most.

tommo_49

toMmyV :P
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2
Gday
I got a similar problem, i'm going to put alpine $600 component speakers and alpine $250 6X9's as well as a $600 four channel amp. Now heres my problem i would get Phreddy's mod done, but i live in Melbourne. Will i be able to get the best sound out of the speakers using an LOC or do i have to buy a new headunit (keeping in my mind that i want to keep my steering wheel buttons, so i'm looking at least a $300 HU and $50+ to convert it so i can use the buttons. You guys have any tips on what i should do?[/B]

pill

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
tommo, i'd make the decision based on whether you want the stock dimmer lights kept or not, cause that's a feature you simply can't get in aftermarket head units. i recall someone saying you could post it to phreddy and he will do it for you, so maybe that's a better idea if you want the dimmer, but otherwise, aftermarket head units are in almost every way better than the stock ones (assuming you have a bit of money to throw around).

If you want quality, you'll need a good HTL converter. Apparrently the good ones (as above) are a good $150. for that kind of money, you're better off with just getting a decent aftermarket one, and the adaptor to use your buttons.

However, as a general rule, the HTL converters are generally decent quality (i would rate them at about 96kbps comparing to mp3s) but some say they are as low as FM radio (56kbps, if you know what i'm talking about). As in FM transmitters like for ipods, distortion increases exponentially with bass boost and that kind of thing, so turn the volume up on your amps and down on your head unit to avoid that bottleneck. But for good quality listening, you're better off getting the mod (if possible), or a decent aftermarket unit with plenty of pre-out goodness :p

tommo_49

toMmyV :P
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2
Thanks for the help Pill, i'll prob go with the new headunit. Greatly Appreciated