Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dishwasher as Parts Washer....

bj42turbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Executive
A mate used to use his dishwasher when he was single to clean four wheel drive parts, worked a treat

Dazz

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
From memory Tim the Toolman already has done this ;) I think a dishwasher would work well, while it worked.
but suspect the oil & grease would soon kill the seals, hoses, pump in the dishwasher. But if the dishwasher is only going to get chucked otherwise, got nothing to lose

Stretchomatic

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
86 VL Berlina M5
Clean the parts, then run a normal cycle with normal soap, that should clear all the left over grease and oil out. The majority of the washer is stainless steel and really hard plastic, only a couple of rubber hoses underneath. We had a customer once that clogged their washing machine with fabric softener, so they ran a heap of truck wash through it, ran fine afterwards. I say go for it!

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
In tank fuel pump and sender unit.. a cigarette can be extinguished in petrol.. Yes very serious.

You know, I get told that by rocket surgeons almost daily at work, then go back to the office and get forced to watch real video footage of people proving themselves wrong. But hey, what would I know, go for it.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
The flash point of fuel is far lower than the flash point of vapourised fuel. Thats why we vapourise fuel when we squirt it into engines. You want to test the cigarette theory, just fill a cup with petrol and drop a ciggie into it from a metre above. If it does catch fire, thats all it will do, catch fire, so its a safe test to perform. It wont ignite, unless you stir the fuel a little just before you drop the smoke.. get some vapour happening.

Enclosing fuel vapour into a canister (or fuel into a dishwasher) and exposing it to flame or electricity is a great way to make a bomb though, I wouldnt dream of trying it.

All a dishwasher does is hit the dishes with high pressure soapy water. It doesnt aim the jets anywhere either, the whole point is to get good coverage on every item in the dishwasher.

If you have a dishwasher that you dont want anymore, it might be useful as a presoak, but I would use dishwashing powder not chemicals, and I would put money on needing to finish the job with a gerni anyway.

I dont see any issues with hurting the dishwasher though, provided you clean and maintain it well. Soap will break down the worst of the oil and grease the same way it does with food.

Probably have not much more effect on the environment in the sewers either once the soap has broken the grease down.. remember the law is speaking of oil in its usual form, not oil which has already been broken down. They use detergents in huge quantities to clean up oil spills..

I honestly dont see much potential benefit over simply spraying on a presoak and hitting it with a gerni personally.. at least you are aiming the gerni (with far superior pressure) exactly where it needs to be aimed.