Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do i have to set lifter pre-load or adjust valve lash on an Ecotec?

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
If you know what you are talking about, why are you continuously asking forum members for advice and knowledge? And then when we answer, you throw it all back in our faces.

Point is, every member that has replied to this thread, WOULD NOT use 2nd hand lifters EVER. Period.

Now go install your lifters and be done with it.

I (we) will be awaiting for another new thread.

VSClubby355

EFI Torque
Reaction score
Wow, I just done a quick search on threads that freefailin has started. Carry on

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
If you know what you are talking about, why are you continuously asking forum members for advice and knowledge? And then when we answer, you throw it all back in our faces.

Point is, every member that has replied to this thread, WOULD NOT use 2nd hand lifters EVER. Period.

Now go install your lifters and be done with it.

I (we) will be awaiting for another new thread.

Did you read the title of this thread?

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
Did you read the title of this thread?

Yes, and there's no point even bothering with lifter pre load and valve lash when using 2nd hand lifters, as the lifters have already worn to a different set of pushrods and rocker arms. You are going to get irregular readings all over the place. Are you going to check the camshaft lobe lift too? What about the push rod and rocker arm condition?

But what do I know?

Just install them however you like and be done with it.

VSClubby355

EFI Torque
Reaction score
So u went to all that effort to replace what was possibly noisy lifters with second hand lifters. What's the chances that the replacement lifters are not much better? Pretty high I'm guessing. A lot of work when you should have just put new ones in.

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
FFS, know one gives a **** about the title of your thread. Everyone in your last "lifter" thread said to buy new lifters, but u bitched and moaned about the price..that's cars, **** cost money, period.

But carry on, your the engine pro going by what your saying. Least I know who to ask when I have balance shaft problems...

VSCLUBBY355 is right. Proceed on freefailin

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
Yes, and there's no point even bothering with lifter pre load and valve lash when using 2nd hand lifters, as the lifters have already worn to a different set of pushrods and rocker arms. You are going to get irregular readings all over the place. Are you going to check the camshaft lobe lift too? What about the push rod and rocker arm condition?

But what do I know?

Just install them however you like and be done with it.

So according to your logic, even if i get new lifters, i would also have to get a complete set of new pushrods and rockers since the pushrods and rockers would have worn to the old lifters, hence getting 'irregular readings all over the place."

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
You didn't just say that...

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
So u went to all that effort to replace what was possibly noisy lifters with second hand lifters. What's the chances that the replacement lifters are not much better?

None. They were not noisy in the engine they were in.

Pretty high I'm guessing.
Read above.

A lot of work when you should have just put new ones in.

New ones cost over $600 where i live. Granted i could order them...That's going to cost around $300 with shipping. Would happily do so if i knew for certain that the problem is the lifters. But since i don't, i opted for 2nd hand ones as a troublshooting diagnosis. Don't want to buy lifters for $300 only to find out that the problem isn't the lifters.... especially when an entire lower end motor costs $218.