Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do i need charcoal cannister on vn v8

bigstu

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss,vn calais 355
Hi guys,i was about to fit some au thermos to my calais and i was woundering if i really need the charcoal cannister or if i can just remove it all together,if i can remove it will it effect idle or anything as hoses run on throttle body and do i have to block off steel hose?Im not worried about the emissions just as long as it still runs fine as it is haltech tuned and it can be temprementle at the best of times,thanks for the help guys.

89vn_Jai

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Exectutive
You can block off where the lines go into the throttlebody and it will run fine. It is a legal requirement to have it there though as then you will just be venting fuel vapour into the atmosphere

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
When I put ef/el twin thermos on the other day I put the canister behind the battery and it stays there till I can put a bracket on it.are you wiring them to a thermo switch or joining into the ecu temp some place

bigstu

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss,vn calais 355
Getting mate to just wire up one or two switches to run fans nothing to fancy just the weekend car for cruzin/burnouts probably leave one on and turn the other one on before frying the tyres.dosent look like there's much room near battery for the canister I've herd of guys putting them behind the bumper but I just after an easy fix.how did you wire yours up mr Calais?I don't know if I can wire them up to a haltech computer?also are they working good and are you happy with them.cheers

Redline16

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII SSV Redline Manual
Ive got the au thermos as well and I just sat my canister next to the battery and it sits in the quite well doesnt move around etc.

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
I have wired my thermos via relays to a pro comp thermo switch. You can set them to a temp you want them to turn on.

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
7b023c13-6969-3f79.jpg

I used the original bracket and spring and screwed it to the plastic divider behind the bar just under the drivers side headlight. Extended the hoses and routed them through the bottom ac line hose hole.
I mounted my thermostat to the fan shroud along with 2 narva 30amp fuse relays (one per fan) with a earth bypass in the cabin to stop the fans switching on at hot start up. Also used an adapter in the top rad hose for the thermostat. Couldnt see it as it was under my cai at the time... worked a treat. Its a bit of a #### but worth it.

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8

Mines behind my front bar. Plenty of room for it and hidden out of site.