Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DO VE/ VY SS seats in a VY Acclaim need a certificate?

Cruz_Bre

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY Acclaim
VY and VZ seats are better than VE. So I'd be sticking with those if you can.

VE seats have a common issue with the seat base foam cracking underneath. You won't notice it enough by just sitting in it, unless you go sit in a new one after sitting in an old one.

I just had mine rebuilt. I thought it was fairly bad but not really bad. After jumping on the rebuilt seat it was night and day. I just did a 12hr trip and my back never noticed it. Prior to the new seat I had back pain every two hours.
Thanks man I’ll keep that in mind I just preferred the VE seats but probably prefer the comfortablity factor what about SS seats?

Cruz_Bre

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY Acclaim
Fk yes it does. It takes a fair bit of work, skill. Existing solutions of nutserts etc would not come close to being safe, let alone engineer approved.

VT - VZ seats are way comfier. I’d pay to have them retrimmed. It will be cheaper than engineering VE seats to fit.
What about SS seats? Would they need to be engineered or Calais leather seats

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Theoretically any seats that didn't come standard or as a factory option require certification to deem them safe.

For example swapping any model VY seats into a VY is legal provided no modifications are required to fit them, but earlier or later models won't be without an engineer deeming the modifications were done safely.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I don’t think VY SS had the airbags in the seats. VZ SS did.

They are a straight bolt in seat.
Hard to find and worth a ****-tonne. You’re going to be up for a fair bit. Worth it. Extremely comfortable.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Did you get a RWC with this car?
How can the car have been provided with a roadworthy if the previous owner said

when i brough it they said something about the airbags and it not being plugged in haven't checked.

If an airbag isn’t plugged in that’s a fault condition and there should be a warning lamp on the dash. In such cases the should never have pass a road worthy…

If that’s indeed the case, I’d be going back to the place that provided the roadworthy and getting them to fix the defect at their cost else I’d be going to the registration authority to challenge their license to dish out roadworthies…

As for seats, get the existing one reupholstered is the best option and saves problems with engineering and insurance companies…

PS: not sure but I thought torn seat bolsters were also a road worthy failure so I’d be checking that as well.

Last edited:

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
If that’s indeed the case, I’d be going back to the place that provided the roadworthy and getting them to fix the defect at their cost else I’d be going to the registration authority to challenge their license to dish out roadworthies
Have you ever actually done that and got anywhere? Ive dogged a few mobs in a couple of times and got no where nothing ever happened.
When you do that remember you cant drive the car until the rwc defeats are fixed which you will be paying for them to be fixed the offending mechanic will probably be bankrupt and not have a rwc licence so they will never repay you

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Recovering is the best option, but its not cheap. You will in for over $1000 a seat.

Cruz_Bre

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY Acclaim
I don’t think VY SS had the airbags in the seats. VZ SS did.

They are a straight bolt in seat.
Hard to find and worth a ****-tonne. You’re going to be up for a fair bit. Worth it. Extremely comfortable.
Will the VZ have to be engineered or are they straight bolt? My VY Acclaim seats have a airbag cable attached

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
They bolt straight in. Find ones without airbags though if your seats don’t have airbags. VZ SS have airbags in the seats.