Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do VS Commodore sedan seatbelts suit VS wagon?

BrodyT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Executive
Hey all looking to get some rear seatbelts from a wreck to replace the ones in my wagon, was just wondering if the sedan ones would fit too as I'm not having much luck finding a wrecking wagon

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Fronts are all the same while rears are totally different due to mounting angle of the retractors.

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
Buy new ones.
It may save you a defect further down the track...

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Still a reasonable amount of wagons finding their way through the wrecking yard industry here in Adelaide and generally the rear belts are in much better shape than the fronts.

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
They are not legally allowed to sell second hand seat belts.(and for good reason)

Upullit sell them as 'tie downs' (or used to)

Looks like you're a bit young,but would you trust them with your kids in the back?

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
They are not legally allowed to sell second hand seat belts.(and for good reason)

Upullit sell them as 'tie downs' (or used to)

Looks like you're a bit young,but would you trust them with your kids in the back?

Honestly I feel the seat belt racket is a bit over stressed nowadays, yes UPI still sell them as tie downs which I'm surprised they are still allowed to do without cutting them, but in saying that if you look at the overall situation of the vehicle they've come from and inspect them rather carefully there'll be no issues. If the car is damaged in the front end well then that's another story but in saying that how many cars that have decent front end damage and go through a Crash Repair Shop have their belts changed ????? .........NONE !

So what's all the fuss then ???????

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
^^^ Good point.

But an original VS seat belt will now be about 28 years old, and the fabric does deteriorate over time.
Also, now, with pretensioners, and the variable stitching, any seat belt that had an occupant would be stuffed and have to be replaced.
A late model, unoccupied seat belt should be OK, but what is the cutoff point for that set of circumstances.

jeepster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
Pretensioners were not fitted before the VT.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
^^^ Good point.

But an original VS seat belt will now be about 28 years old, and the fabric does deteriorate over time.
Does this mean everyone with a Gen II should be replacing all their seat belts with new ones?

Interesting that unless a seat belt is frayed its not a defect due to age.