Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do VS Commodore sedan seatbelts suit VS wagon?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Does this mean everyone with a Gen II should be replacing all their seat belts with new ones?

Interesting that unless a seat belt is frayed its not a defect due to age.
One of those subjects which is not discussed in polite company.
Perhap$ it i$ $omething that the leading road $afety concerned Victorian Gubbermint should inve$stigate..

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
Another reason for a defect is a seatbelt that is slow to retract.
I went through upullit looking for belts that weren't frayed and quick to retract and gave up.
It was easier and safer to just renew it rather than soaking it in lube and burning off the frayed bits with a lighter.
You wouldn't replace the belt for the sake of it...

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
The fabric in seat belts doesn't really break down, but was does happen is that all the dirt and body oils that the belt is subjected to over time has the fabric clogging up and becoming rather stiff and it it is this factor that has the belts not retracting like they did when they were new.

So what I do is remove the whole assembly out of the car and pull the belt out to it's limit and clamp the belt to stop it retracting. I then drop the belt only in to nice hot soapy water to soak for a little while (10 mins). From there I use a good nail brush and velvet soap and scrub in the longitudinal direction of the webbing from end to end on both sides thoroughly and then inspect. Sometimes the high traffic section of the belt will require going over again and again until perfectly clean. After that make sure that the belt is rinsed thoroughly and then I'll run the belt webbing tightly through a soft towel to remove excess water.

After that I'll hang it out on the clothes line to dry completely. You'll find that the belt will be all nice and soft again and retract like it did when it was new once refitted to the vehicle. Belts only need replacing if frayed (due to defect notices)or being used by an occupant in a serious collision, but at that point the vehicle is written off anyway and that's how Insurance Companies view seat belts.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Technically it is illegal to fit 2nd hand seat belts.....

Morally it's upto the individual if they use 2nd hand or new....

Wreckers used to cut them before giving them to people...When it changed I'm unsure

The rest I'll leave upto the individual

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
That law was introduced to simply set a bench mark so that idiots wouldn't put others lives in to danger. Those with some sensible brains will know what's ok and what's definitely not.