Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do you have a Room in your house that's is Hunger for Power?

Mickcc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais 2016 Series 2
Not many solar panels on your roof if thats all of them. The 8kw system I just had fitted has 19 panels. 8 facing east, 7 facing north and 4 facing west.

During my peak power generation time (10am till midday) I’m putting out about 6kws even though we are nearly in winter. Most of my power generation is in the morning and it drops off a lot in the afternoon due to only 4 west facing panels and shade issues on the north facing panels.

I try and self consume by time-shifting my demand as much as possible. The pool pump and chlorinator are set to run from 8am to 2pm, the electric hot water is on a timer from 10am to 1pm. If I have to wash clothes or put the dishwasher on I make sure it’s done in the morning or middle of the day.

Im generating about 2kw from 7 am in the morning at the moment on a sunny day so basically running the house is free from 7am to about 1pm. That situation will improve immensely when summer comes around. Hopefully enough power will be getting exported to pay for what I use outside of those hours.

You can normally change your system out for a bigger one, which is what I did, you just give up your premium FIT and fall back to 8-10 cents per kWh. I made the judgement that it was worthwhile to do that as the tiny 1.5kw system I did have would export SFA unless you basically kill the main switch before you leave for work.
I Think he has the rest on the Shed from memory

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Once again my Doctor gave me this as he telling me STOP TAKING SLEEPING Tablets. You think to much.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
I knew a old electrician that had more than 5Kw inverter limit in his house and it was legal back in 2007 he was on the Pension, I spotted him on Channel 7 or Channel 9 "A Current affair" and the Government was trying to remove his pension Away from him where they failed.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
You need batteries!
Too expensive still. When the cost benefit analysis stacks up I’ll look into it.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
NOOOO Dont do that, Never do that. The Law will change on July the 1st 2028 and if i'm still alive I will do What I have too.
If you’ve got a large system on the premium FIT you’d be stupid to give it up. Like I said my system was only 1.5kw which is basically useless and you can’t upgrade it without forfeiting the premium FIT.

My new 8kw system will save me more money than the old system ever would have, even exporting at 8 cents per kWh.

Assuming 100% efficiency from the old system from 7am to 1pm (they were north facing panels with the same shade issues my new north facing panels have) and 100% export (impossible) the most I could have exported was 9kWh. 9kWh x 48 cents FIT = $4.32.

The most I could have made from the old system on premium FIT is $388.80 per quarter. My power bills were between $500 to $800 per quarter so even if I was exporting 100% of my 1.5kw to the premium FIT (impossible to achieve) I would still have a bill of about $100 to $400 per quarter.

The new system is generating 2kw at 7am and over 6kw from 10am to midday and with load shifting to maximise self consumption has been calculated to put me in credit each quarter.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Too expensive still. When the cost benefit analysis stacks up I’ll look into it.

His battery system doesn't look like a standard unit though so probably a lot cheaper than say a Tesla power wall.

Reactions: Lex

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
His battery system doesn't look like a standard unit though so probably a lot cheaper than say a Tesla power wall.
Probably but I’m not a qualified electrician so I can’t do a self install system.