Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do you have a Room in your house that's is Hunger for Power?

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
His battery system doesn't look like a standard unit though so probably a lot cheaper than say a Tesla power wall.
Yes definitely.
I looked at alternate batteries, but intake vs output ability vs price vs warranty and in the end shelved the idea.

Some cool cheap little batteries out there, but their rate of discharge was not amazing.
Although, with multiple stacked together it could be alright.
This was a long time ago, but something like 1/2kw max output means you cannot even run a vacuum cleaner or other reasonable size single device during a power outage where you are reliant on battery only.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Probably but I’m not a qualified electrician so I can’t do a self install system.
Yeah A lot cheaper. You know I like doing things by myself. Its easy to get into Channel 9 "A Current Affair" and boast what you have but all you did is cough up your money big money and that it. I admire a person that constructs some thing like this and you buy pieces here and there, scratch here and there and make something like this and after this you can sit down and say for yourself I'm proud of what I have achieved whilst you sit down and drink a beer or for me a cup of tea

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Too expensive still. When the cost benefit analysis stacks up I’ll look into it.
But if you know someone that imports batteries the quality batteries they will cost you less than 30% depending how many you buy. I say you scratch my back, I scratch yours. "eg" do Satellite work for them thats save them $$$ you get quality extremely cheap Batteries. All you have to do is WORK.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have VE Direct a monitoring system on my WiFi Phone that tell me everything that I need to know.
Tested last night on our Satellite tv room on the RED powerpoint (off Grid) so I ran the main hungry tv with 2 monitors and 2 decoders from 7.30 PM to 11.45 and turned it off. Now I got up this morning at 7 AM and the battery controller was charging at BULK and when it came to 11.40 am this morning I got a FLOAT which means fully charged batteries. Next week I will go from 3 batteries to 8 and I will change my Battery controller to 70 Amp

See STATE =FLOAT Normany when charging The Solar is just under 1200W the Current is around 38 Amps on the Battery now because its Floating Its Sleeping, Solar Current 0.1A Battery Current 1.00A

Reactions: Lex

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not many solar panels on your roof if thats all of them. The 8kw system I just had fitted has 19 panels. 8 facing east, 7 facing north and 4 facing west.
I have 6 X 200W for off grid and 24 for grid tie all facing true north. I'm only taking about OFF GRID System .
I hope you have 3 MPPT inverter for each string, If not each string must have a diode coming from the positive to the inverter

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Yeah A lot cheaper. You know I like doing things by myself. Its easy to get into Channel 9 "A Current Affair" and boast what you have but all you did is cough up your money big money and that it. I admire a person that constructs some thing like this and you buy pieces here and there, scratch here and there and make something like this and after this you can sit down and say for yourself I'm proud of what I have achieved whilst you sit down and drink a beer or for me a cup of tea
Would like to be resourceful but unfortunately it’s illegal in this country now. Cant even change a power point without being a licensed electrician.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Would like to be resourceful but unfortunately it’s illegal in this country now. Cant even change a power point without being a licensed electrician.
That's just wrong. I can add a power point to an existing circuit, I just can't add new circuits.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
And the Insurance Company's love this. I'm going to 73 and a 73 your old person cannot have a license as you get old and can't pass the pole top rescue that needed in NSW to keep your license ( old electricians complained like hell) but mainly WOMEN CANT PASS IT Yeah not the old Electrician that got rid of it and if its gone now in NSW it the WYMAN factor that got rid of it.

Funny thing early this year I had a brand new fan Stuff up and I told them I'm a retired Electrician and I don't have a current License because of my age, I told them age does not hide what you did for 50 years and also. NSW you uses to need to do a Pole top rescue..... I cant pass it or even the First Aid Course. So what happen, They refused to come to see there defective fan but they sent me a new fan out to kept the peace.
Funny thing is I know a few old Sparkies younger or older than me and none of them haved renewed the License, Yes we get old too yet the Government want you to go back to work because the Country Needs us YES!!. It a Insult